This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of High School Ministries
Grace Lutheran Church
Andover, Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 05/25/2011
Categories: Youth Pastor
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Serve the church by developing and growing a comprehensive and expanding discipleship ministry for senior high youth (grades nine through twelve). The Director of High School Ministries primary duties will involve:
• Supporting the mission, vision, and values of Grace Lutheran Church and its ministry
• Facilitating and encouraging the spiritual growth and the habits of discipleship in our high school youth.
• Enlisting, equipping, and training strong adult leaders to develop and implement Grace's youth ministries with the overriding goal of replicating leaders in youth ministries.
• Overseeing programming for High School youth.
• Working with Pastor of Spiritual Formation and Spiritual Formation Team to create a cohesive and coherent ministry philosophy from children to youth
Grace Lutheran Church is transforming into a “Lay Oriented” church, functioning around small groups, ministry teams, lay empowerment, and spiritual gifts. The role of staff is to identify, recruit, equip, and empower laity to live out their spiritual gifts in a ministry they choose. The staff is to strive to encourage effective disciples to grow deeper and be equipped to serve others in ministry. The main objective for a staff member at Grace is focus upon these questions: “Who will I mentor today? (Not “What must I do today?), “Who will I discover?” (Not “What is my job?”), and “How many others can I equip?” (Not “How much can I do?”)
• Experience and demonstrated ability to encourage youth to grow deeper in their faith.
• A committed Christian with a love for Christ and his youth, having a personal lifestyle that is evidence of this faith. It is not necessary for the Director of High School Ministries to be Lutheran, but s/he must have an openness to Lutheran theology.
• A warm heart, contagious vision, and a commitment to establish and maintain a full range of youth programming.
• B.A. Degree in youth ministries and/or Christian Education
• Minimum of three to five years experience in youth ministries or related work, involving at least 100 students.
• Solid administrative, organizational and communication skills.
• Desire and ability to work as a team player with the staff, ministry teams, parents, and the congregation.
• It would be helpful if the Director of Youth has music leadership skills.
• Own Your Faith Ministry: Grace’s 9th grade experiential ministry year before confirmation.
• Small Group mentoring ministry
• High School Youth: Grace’s programming for 9th - 12th grade which includes, but is not limited to
• Groups: Grace’s small group ministry for 9th - 12th graders.
• Bible Studies, Sunday Youth Group, annual Mission Trip, mission outreach events
• Retreats, Lock-in, camping, etc
Tasks and Responsibilities
To envision and structure Grace's youth ministries around the Five Core Values of the Church: Connect, Grow, Equip, Serve, and Lutheran.
1) Recruit, equip, and replicate leaders :
a) To serve on various ministry teams to support the various aspects of youth ministry
b) To serve as small group leaders to encourage the youth to grow and develop their relationship with God, with each other, and with those beyond our church
c) Team with Pastor of Spiritual Formation to train leadership in small group methodology.
2) Collaborate with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation and Own Your Faith Team to oversee the Own Your Faith Program for those who have completed catechism classes and preparing for confirmation.
3) To develop and grow the High School Ministry
a) Meet regularly with Ministry Team Leaders to plan, equip, nurture, and support them in their ministries.
b) Plan and develop programming for the various aspects of the ministries: Mission Trips, retreats, social events, conferences, etc.
c) Develop and oversee Sunday morning Bible studies for Senior High.
d) Meet with other area youth directors to coordinate and empower ministries within our community
e) Network with area high schools, student ministries, and other youth opportunities.
f) Enlist and equip youth for leadership and participation in Grace’s ministries.
g) Develop strategy to evangelize and invite youth unconnected with a local church.
4) Develop a consistent communication strategy to parents and youth to encourage participation and spiritual growth in their homes.
5) Function as an integral team member on a dynamic church staff team.
a) Share gifts, support and encourage the gifts of others within the team.
b) Demonstrate leadership and management skills within all areas of responsibility.
c) Commit to live the expectations of Grace’s seven habits of discipleship.
6) Perform other functions and tasks as requested by the Pastor of Spiritual Formation.
Hours, Salary, and Supervision
• This is a full time position
• Base Salary (determined by education and experience) plus medical/dental and pension as per the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America benefits package
• Supervision by Pastor of Spiritual Formation