This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Hudson Valley Fellowship
Armonk, New York, United States
Date Posted: 05/24/2011
Categories: Senior Pastor
Church Size: 50 to 100
Job Type: Full-Time
Hudson Valley Fellowship is seeking a strong, inspirational leader for the position of Senior Pastor. We are especially interested in a person who will be both preacher and teacher. We desire someone who will promote evangelism, preach biblical and contemporary-issue sermons, support children and youth ministry, provide guidance for daily living, and contribute to laity involvement and leadership development.
We have a committed congregation with an average weekly attendance of 75 people. Hudson Valley Fellowship is excited about working with a leader to serve our church including outreach to our local community.
Our needs include administrative skills for a developing and growing church and the ability to supervise staff and volunteer members. Hudson Valley Fellowship is blessed to be in Armonk, New York, serving families throughout Westchester County. We are a warm and welcoming congregation that highly values family traditions. Our contemporary music program is outstanding, and worship and small groups are important to our church. Hudson Valley Fellowship is an exciting church with a great potential to do great things for God’s Kingdom.
Reporting Relationship: The Senior Pastor reports directly to the church Board of Directors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Preaching and Worship Leadership (50%)
1. Prepares and delivers sermons that are relevant and seeker sensitive; challenge members and unchurched alike to become fully devoted followers of Christ.
2. Ensures that overall weekly worship services are effective and on target regarding content, style, structure, and design.
Meets weekly with the Worship Leader to critique prior worship services and plan future worship services regarding music selection, transitions, humor, and atmosphere.
3. Suggests and assists with planning of special worship services such as Christmas, Easter, other special programs, and outside speakers with the objective of drawing the unchurched to the service.
Works with staff to ensure timely and proper advertising and publicity.
Plans messages that are relevant and attractive for each occasion.
B.Vision, Creativity, and Strategic Planning (15%)
1.Takes initiative and exhibits creativity in recommending and implementing the vision of Hudson Valley Fellowship.
2.Leads staff and Board in developing strategic plan and vision for the next three (3) years for Hudson Valley Fellowship.
Determines best opportunities and strategies for outreach and church growth.
Anticipates future staff requirements and recommends what positions should be filled, changed, and deleted, and in what sequence.
Monitors church growth and recommends optimum timing and approach regarding church facilities.
3. Takes proactive approach toward identifying problems or challenges while offering creative solutions for resolution.
4. Provides leadership to the Finance Committee and the Board regarding the annual budget including planning stewardship campaigns.
C. Leadership Development and Discipleship (15%)
1. Takes the initiative in recommending and implementing actions that fulfill the vision and mission of Hudson Valley Fellowship.
2. As Church Board Chair, leads, teaches, and trains the board in their duties as board members, spiritual leaders of the congregation, and witnesses to the community.
Ensures proper preparation of meeting agendas.
Provides effective leadership of meetings by ensuring time is spent on important issues and minimizing time spent on minor issues and details.
3. Schedules and leads leadership conference that educates and motivates leaders of the church, regarding vision, mission, strategy, seeker sensitivity, what it means to be a "high impact" church, and other key matters.
4. Provides for overall training, inspiration and motivation of Hudson Valley Fellowship staff and volunteers to ensure they are maturing in their faith, growing in their relationships with each other, and upgrading their skills.
5. Writes and implements personal goals and objectives. Coordinates with staff in identifying and approving their goals and objectives.
D. Teaching and Discipleship (10%)
1. Develops a discipleship strategy for the church
2. Organizes a weekly congregational Bible study series that provides an in-depth look at and interpretation of Scriptures.
3. Teaches the New Members Class pertaining to the following subject areas.
What the Bible says about the church.
What we believe at Hudson Valley Fellowship.
Vision, philosophy of ministry, church covenant and personal testimony.
E. Congregational Relations and Pastoral Care (10%)
1. Assists with maintaining a "high touch" ministry.
Reacts promptly to emergency/crisis situations.
Conducts baptisms, weddings, and funerals as requested and needed.
2. Schedules time with members and new people.
3. Provides pastoral care as requested and refers to outside services i.e. The Center for Hope and Renewal for more extensive counseling as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, Ministry or related field. Master of Divinity degree or equivalent preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years of pastoral, church or ministry experience.
• Strong organizational and leadership skills.
• Able to think strategically about future direction of the church.
• Experience supervising staff and volunteers.
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a growing church environment.
• Excellent written and communication skills.