This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Accounting Team Leader
Savannah Christian Church
Savannah, Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 06/23/2011
Denominations: Christian Church
Church Size: 5001 to 7500
Job Type: Full-Time
Thank you for your interest in serving with Savannah Christian Church. Please submit all applications electronically via our website www.savannahchristian.com.
Accounting Team Leader
Accounting / Finance Team
Reports To: Executive Pastor and Finance Manager
Category of Employment: Support, Full Time
Payroll Status: Salaried, Exempt
Office Hours: Minimum 40 hours per week
The mission of Savannah Christian Church is to lead people to a life-changing connection with Jesus Christ.
To further the mission of the Church by overseeing, directing and developing the Accounting Department. Responsible and accountable for all accounting mechanisms for the ministries of the church.
1. Experience: Minimum of fine (5) years experience in Accounting field.
2. Education: Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business from an accredited college or university. A preferred candidate will also be a Certified Public Accountant, and will have experience working with churches or similar, faith based not-for-profit organizations. Consideration will be given to candidates having experience and demonstrated proficiency in field.
3. Knowledge, skills, and gifts: Character and ability to maintain and protect confidentiality of private information. Familiarity with church tax compliance pertaining to payroll taxes and housing allowance is a must. Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills. Must have multi-tasking abilities, and strong organizational skills. Possess a friendly attitude and have a strong heart for service. Must be adept at recruiting, training, and activating volunteers to service. Computer knowledge, experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and ACS software. Candidate must have experience with general ledger, accounts payable and payroll functions. Non Profit accounting experience not required but highly encouraged. Must be able to use a calculator with speed and accuracy.
4. Physical Demands:
a. May be called upon for lifting, pulling, bending, carrying, and pushing as needed to set up activities and events.
b. Operation of church vehicles.
1. Exhibits a meaningful and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. Engages in a regular and ongoing (meeting at least monthly) accountability relationship with a staff partner or other approved person.
3. Recognizes that our work is important and deserves our very best.
Conditions of Employment
1. Models the Biblical standard of personal conduct and lifestyle.
2. Supports and adheres to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Philosophy of Ministry of SCC, including the SCC Statement of Faith.
3. Supports and adheres to the SCC Policies and Procedures Handbook.
4. Must be an active, participating member of Savannah Christian Church or another Bible-believing church.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essentials)
1. General staff responsibilities:
• Assist with all components of contribution procedures; counting, database entry and deposits.
• Maintain in notebook (CROAKER) all ministry tasks and functions specific to position.
• Participation in monthly “All-Staff Meetings”, as well as called departmental meetings, and other required staff events.
2. Specific ministry duties and responsibilities:
• Manage the accounting department of SCC to insure that: (a) the church is in compliance with all county, state and federal laws, rules and regulations, (b) all reports, tax returns, and other required documents are appropriately filed; and (c) all taxes are timely paid.
• Provide financial information to and assist the independent auditors with the annual audit and prepare documentation for annual renewal of ECFA membership.
• Responsible for establishing, maintaining, and overseeing accounting principles, practices, and procedures which maintain the integrity of Savannah Christian Church.
• Supervise employees of the accounting department to ensure accurate reporting of all contributions, payroll functions, accounts payable functions, monthly reconciliation, and the preparation and analysis of all financial statements.
• Assist Senior Financial Analyst with preparation of budgets, coordinating with the Executive Pastor and all appropriate department representatives.
• Point person for all financial inquires in regards to online giving through ACS Access and questions or concerns regarding contributions and year end statements.
• Responsible for all aspects of Liability Insurance for the church
3. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility that will be required of an employee in this position. Therefore, additional duties may be assigned.
Performance and Evaluation
Success in the position will be measured according to the performance assessment tool approved by the Executive Pastor. Performance will be evaluated in relevant areas, including but not limited to: completion of ministry goals and individual tactics, communication, teamwork, leadership, creativity, responsibility, self motivation, attitude, and potential for growth.