This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Growth Groups Pastor
The Journey Church
New York, New York, United States
Date Posted: 05/25/2011
Categories: Associate Pastor - Small Group Pastor
Denominations: Not Applicable
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Growth Groups Pastor @ The Journey Church in NYC:
Are you called to serve in New York City?
The Journey is a contemporary 9 year old church with 4 campuses in New York City (Upper West Side, Village, Queens and Brooklyn). The position of full-time Growth Groups Pastor is currently available.
The Journey consistently has over 1,000 adults attending weekend services, currently has over 1,100 in groups and expects continued growth.
Are you passionate about raising up new leaders and volunteers, seeing people get connected in the church and challenging them to grow in their faith?
Are you interested in expanding an already healthy Growth Group ministry that sees over 1,100 people signed up for a group every semester?
Can you work with our team to increase the number of groups every semester (approximately 80) as well as the number of leaders that serve each semester (approximately 150)?
Are you interested in helping a growing church continue to grow?
Do you have a high view of 'serving as part of discipleship' and do you have a strong desire to reach unchurched young professionals?
This is not a pastoral care position, but an equipping position to make a difference with the best and the brightest from around the world that make up the Journey Church in NYC.
- Leadership, growth and innovation of The Journey’s semester-based small groups ministry of over 1,100 people each semester.
- Requires the ability to lead teams effectively and to raise up new leaders at a rapid rate. Also, organizational and administrative skills are a must.
- The ability to teach and contribute to The Journey's teaching team is a plus as well as the ability to work well with and lead staff.
- Must be extremely hard-working and have had leadership experience on a large or growing church staff.
Other desired characteristics include strong interpersonal skills; growing leader; team builder; sense of humor; risk-taker (seminary not required).
- A Solid Calling to New York City
- The ability to manage a large and growing Growth Groups system
- A passion for the Bible and innovation
- An ability to teach, lead classes and lead meetings (volunteers/staff)
- A team player
- Experience in a large/growing church
- A positive attitude
- A familiarity with The Purpose Driven Church Model
- A risk taker
- A passion for discipleship and not letting anyone fall through the cracks
- A passion and drive for evangelism and reaching the unchurched
- A high commitment to the local church
- Must have experience in a church of 500 or more
- Must be willing to work up to 60 hours a week when necessary
Only resumes accompanied with a COVER LETTER will be considered.
The cover letter should be personalized for this position and should answer 4 questions:
(1) Why you are interested in this position?
(2) Have you read the book “Activate: An Entirely New Approach to Small Groups” by Journey pastors Nelson Searcy and Kerrick Thomas? And are you familiar with the semester-based model of small group ministry?
(3) Why you would feel comfortable relocating to New York City?
(4) And what about you makes you stand out from other candidates for this position?
*Also – if you have a recent video/audio of you teaching in front of a group (large or small) – please include that along with your resume and cover letter.
Please send cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.