This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Ankeny, Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 04/22/2011
Categories: Associate Pastor - Family Pastor
Church Size: 5001 to 7500
Job Type: Full-Time
Lutheran Church of Hope is the fastest growing and largest church in the ELCA. Hope NorthBranch was launched in 2006 as Hope's first satellite campus. Hope NorthBranch is worshiping over 500 adults each weekend with 200 children involved in Children's ministry. We are looking for an Associate Pastor to oversee the Discipleship ministry of NorthBranch. This would include leadership of the Children, Student and Adult ministries of Hope NorthBranch.
See below for a detailed job description.
LEADERSHIP POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Associate Pastor (NorthBranch)
Reports To: NorthBranch Campus Pastor
Date Prepared/Revised: April 22, 2011
The Associate Pastor is responsible for implementing the ministry vision for the discipleship of Children, Students and Adults at Lutheran Church of Hope NorthBranch, a satellite congregation under the mission, vision, values, and authority structure of Lutheran Church of Hope.
• Providing overall ministry leadership of NorthBranch birth to life ministry in conjunction with the Campus Pastor and the staff or team leaders in Children’s, Student and Adult ministry.
• Coaching and oversight of all Children’s, Student and Adult ministry staff and volunteer leadership at NorthBranch.
• Developing, maintaining, and overseeing NorthBranch discipleship strategies in coordination with Campus Pastor, NorthBranch Children, Student and Adult Ministry team leaders, Leadership Team, and WDM ministry directors.
• Presence at NorthBranch worship services and primary events.
• Occasional live preaching at NorthBranch.
• Teaching at Alpha and other Adult Ministry classes as needed
• Teaching at PowerLife (Hope’s confirmation program)
• Planning and implementing the 3rd Grade Bible Class, 1st Communion
• Part of the Leadership team for Vacation Bible School
In coordination with the Campus Pastor and within with the primary mission, vision, and values of Lutheran Church of Hope and its primary visions for the following ministry areas, the Associate Pastor will be responsible for:
• Continuing to develop and implement a primary vision for adult discipleship at NorthBranch in coordination with Lutheran Church of Hope Adult Ministry vision and strategies (including Alpha and Beta series)
• Coaching and oversight of NorthBranch Adult Ministry staff and/or volunteers
• Teaching as necessary (including Alpha)
• Continuing to develop NorthBranch Student Ministry program in conjunction with WDM strategies
• Coaching and oversight of NorthBranch PowerLife (Middle School/Confirmation Ministry) and Ignition (High School Ministry) volunteers
• Recruiting and building teams of volunteers for Student Ministry
• Primary teacher at PowerLife
• Continuing to develop and implement a vision for NorthBranch Nursery and Children’s Ministry in conjunction with WDM strategies
• Building, equipping and empowering the NorthBranch Children’s Ministry team.
• Coaching and oversight of NorthBranch Nursery team leader and Children’s Ministry staff
• Adhere to Lutheran Church of Hope Staff Covenant for spiritual, personal and professional relationships and behavior.
• Maintain a vital and growing personal walk with the Lord through committed Bible study, prayer and personal learning.
• Adhere to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ECLA) document for Vision and Expectations of clergy (whether rostered ELCA clergy or not)
Personal Performance Criteria
• Strives to live a Christ-centered life, stemming from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Works well with others, maintaining positive and effective relationships and communication with church staff and ministries, volunteers, church members, and guests
• Contributes to creating a positive work environment
• Demonstrates honesty and integrity; respects confidentiality
• Arrives on time and works consistently until the end of the scheduled workday/project
• Takes advantage of professional growth opportunities related to his/her job
• Works independently and with confidence
• Demonstrates ability to grasp and adjust to new and changing situations
• Demonstrates initiative and ability to work without close supervision
• Adheres to safety rules
Skills, Education and Experience Required
• Possess Christ-centered, joy-filled passion for ministry which flows from a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• MDiv or working toward MDiv
• Ability to interpret and to confidently and effectively articulate Biblical foundations and Lutheran theology in preaching, teaching, and counseling
• Proven ability to lead and inspire a transformational theology without falling into the ditch of works righteousness
• Proven ability to “Equip the saints for the work of ministry” (Eph. 4:12) and a firm grasp of the concept of the priesthood of all believers.
• Extremely strong organizational skills for administration and leadership of team-based ministry
• Ability to supervise, inspire, and equip both staff and volunteers in a wide variety of ministry areas
• Ability to prioritize and boundary ministry with personal and family life
• Ability to lead, coordinate and manage multiple tasks
• Commitment to always reflect in the best possible light Lutheran Church of Hope, its staff, and the mission, vision, and values of its Constitution, the Southeast Iowa Synod, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
• Willingness to work with, reflect in the best possible light, and to serve as a positive resource for all congregations of the ELCA and other local congregations of other denominations.
Hope NorthBranch Campus Pastor - Scott Rains
Relationship to ELCA:
For non-rostered ELCA candidates – Openness to pursuing ELCA rostering within 2-3 years of employment is preferred based on the needs of Lutheran Church of Hope’s relationship with the Southeast Iowa Synod of the ELCA.