This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Church Administrative Assistant
St. John The Evangelist Anglican Church
Southampton, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 03/30/2011
Categories: Business/Administration - Secretarial/Office
Church Size: 151 to 250
Job Type: Full-Time
Christian Church seeks a Christian who is personable, engaging, motivated and self directed to act as assistant to the Rector, other staff, and lay volunteers. Individual must be detailed, organized, energetic, multi-tasking, dependable, computer literate, and able to handle confidential and sensitive information. Responsibilities include general office management and financial/bookkeeping support. Full time with benefits. Preferred college graduate and five years experience as an administrative assistant.
The position of the Church Secretary is a very special ministry and important in a church setting. This position is a direct support to the Rector and one of the first persons the public sees and talks to. It is also a key point of contact for parishioners seeking help and connection with the clergy and staff.
The person called to this position should be a Christian with general and office skills, who truly feels "called to Christian service," and who is willing to go "above and beyond" the personal investment in a job that is considered "normal" in the secular world of work.
1. Must be personable and engaging
2. Post high school vocational/specialized training or an associate’s degree.
3. Minimum of five years experience as an Administrative Assistant
4. Minimum typing 65 WPM with accuracy and transcribing experience
5. Strong computer skills are imperative (MS Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Website maintenance)
6. Proficiency in the use of standard office tools (copy machine, etc.)
7. Strong organizational skills
8. Have excellent command of English language, composition and punctuation
9. Must be able to maintain confidentiality in areas such as financial records, counseling situations and other private matters.
HOURS: Monday – Friday (Salaried – 40 hours per week) Weekend hours may also be required depending on church programs and events.
JOB DUITES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NO T LIMITED TO:
A. General Office Administration
1. Maintain and organize reception area.
2. Order and maintain office supplies and equipment (i.e. copier, postage machine, answering machine, computer, telephones, etc.).
3. Organize and maintain the master church calendar (and Rector’s daily calendar).
4. Pick up, distribute and disseminate of all mail and correspondence.
5. Screen and route all incoming calls.
6. Answer mail – correspondence (writing letters), phone calls, etc.
7. Check email and respond.
8. Coordinate scheduling for weddings, baptisms, funerals and special services.
9. Gather information and prepare monthly newsletters and other routine communications.
10. Keep accurate membership records (new members, baptisms, weddings, deaths, etc.)
11. Process baby baptism requests and prepare baby baptism certificates.
12. Prepare Annual Reports.
13. Schedule and attend meetings and record minutes as requested.
14. File all paperwork and records.
15. Prepare new members information packets and coordinate receptions.
16. Coordinate travel arrangements for the clergy and staff.
17. Set up counseling meetings and other appointments.
18. Coordinate employee meetings, lunches, etc.
19. Notify all Pastoral Staff of member hospitalizations, deaths, etc.
20. Prepare, proof, print, and disburse weekly service bulletins.
21. Route any/all incoming communications (mail; e-mail; faxes; phone messages) to appropriate staff and lay volunteers
22. Maintain and up-date all standard forms and ministry literature.
23. Maintain bulletin boards.
B. Financial & Accounting Support to Accounting Warden
1. Process biweekly payroll with our 3rd party payroll service. Enter payments in Quicken.
2. Complete and submit periodic payroll reports.
3. Secure evidence of receiving, where appropriate, and proper approvals for all incoming invoices.
Enter invoices in Quicken for payment.
4. Perform accounting and bookkeeping for parish funds as directed by the Accounting Warden.
5. Maintain detailed records of contributions and gifts using automated software (Servant Keeper).
6. Prepare and maintain an Office Procedures and Reference Manual.
7. Maintain petty cash with accurate records and receipts.
OTHER GENERAL EXPECTATIONS INCLUDE:
• Support the Pastoral Staff with any tasks that might be done to free them as much as possible so that they remain dedicated to their clerical and pastoral duties.
• Always exhibit professionalism, demonstrated by a well-groomed appearance, conscientious work ethic, teaching ability and accountability.
• Willing and able to work at a fast pace within a variety of settings and circumstances, with composure and flexibility.
• Willing to work evenings and weekends occasionally.
• Willing to travel occasionally as the need arises.
• Be ever conscious of the need for confidentiality.
• Always exercise discernment and wise judgment.
• Be a person who gives extreme attention to details with an eye for excellence.
• Have a non-lackadaisical attitude with the willingness to seek new information, training, and resources as needed.
• Be a self-starter and good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects.
• Possess strong administrative skills and the ability to work independently without supervision.
• Able to create an environment that is inviting to people passing through on a daily basis.
• When urgent situations arise, give first priority to the person involved. Identify the need and its degree of urgency. Then refer, counsel, or take a message for one of the pastoral staff members.
• Develop procedures for handling complaints and problems.
• Develop procedures for handling visitors during office hours.
• Cooperate in scheduling and planning to see that the goals and objectives of the church are being realized is necessary. This assumes a firsthand knowledge of current policies, procedures and programs, and missions at the church.
• Keep abreast of church protocol by keeping policies current and drafting needed policies for the pastoral staff to channel to the proper commissions.
• Pray daily for God’s guidance.