This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Associate Pastor of Children's and Family Ministries
First Baptist Church
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 03/23/2011
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: Baptist -- American
Church Size: 351 to 500
Job Type: Full-Time
ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF CHILDREN’S AND FAMILY MINISTRIES
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Directly Supervises: Children’s Ministry Volunteers
Director of Children’s Center
Children’s Ministry Intern(s)
Education: Bachelors Degree (Master's Degree preferred)
Status: Full Time
The Associate Pastor of Children’s and Family Ministries will provide comprehensive leadership
and oversight for all children’s related ministries (birth – 5th grade) as well as promote and
establish effective working partnerships between FirstB and parents for the overall spiritual
formation of their children and family. In addition, the Pastor of C&F ministries will be FirstB’s
primary advocate and driver for strengthening families and equipping parents.
* Articulate and communicate a clear and compelling vision and strategy for Children’s
and Family Ministries
* Evaluate, choose and adapt a curricula that best fulfills the mission of the church and
most fully achieves the vision of the C&F ministries.
* Establish annual and long-range goals for C&F ministries that are consistent with
FirstB’s mission, process and strategic plan.
* Develop, plan, promote, implement, and evaluate the church’s ministry to children (birth -
5th grade) including: a graded Sunday School, Wednesday evening clubs, Vacation Bible
School, Children’s Church, Nursery, a Children’s Musical Production, and various other
* In concert with the Pastoral Staff, develop, plan, promote, implement and evaluate
ministries designed to strengthen FirstB families.
* Assist the Director of the Children’s Center to develop, plan, and implement the church’s
ministry to children being served by various divisions of the Children’s Center.
* Recruit, train, manage, supervise, and appreciate teachers, helpers, musicians, and any
other volunteers necessary to staff Children’s Ministries at FirstB.
* Resource, advise, supervise, and annually review the Director of the Children’s Center
and participate in Children’s Center Board meetings as the Pastoral Staff representative.
* Resource, advise, supervise, and annually review the Nursery Coordinator as well as
any other direct report part-time staff positions.
* Participate in weekly Pastoral Staff meetings and work together with the Pastoral Staff to
coordinate and compliment each other’s ministries as well as develop a cohesive annual
and long-term strategic plan.
* Partner with parents in their child’s spiritual formation by providing multiple and regular
classes, resources and experiences that equip and encourage parents in their role as
primary spiritual instructor and guide.
* In coordination with other Pastoral Staff, provide pastoral care to families with children
(birth – 5th grade) who are in crisis. This responsibility may include hospital visitation,
acute family counseling, grief counsel and care, praying with and for families, etc.
* Be prepared to perform other pastoral duties including baptizing children, serving
communion, dedicating babies, visiting families, etc.
* Prepare an annual report to the congregation of ministry development each year as well
as an annual vision presentation that communicates to the congregation where God is
leading the C&F ministries in the coming year(s).
* Develop, implement and maintain effective and regular communication with parents
concerning C&F ministries, utilizing both hardcopy publications (such as the Times and
occasional reminder cards) and electronic communications tools (such as the church
Web site, blogs, and the “phone tree”).
* Submit to annual reviews conducted by the Senior Pastor and the Personnel Team.
* Develop and maintain a budget for all C&F Ministries.
* Personal Faith and Integrity: Possesses a mature faith that expresses itself through a
dynamic, disciplined relationship with God, highly developed Spiritual gifts, and a love
experienced by everyone he/she encounters. Demonstrates honesty and integrity that is
* Biblical Intelligence: Is biblically trained and possesses a broad knowledge of the
scriptures. Able to translate biblical stories and principles into understandable and
relevant applications that go beyond behavior modification to core spiritual formation in
children and adults.
* Child Development Intelligence: Has knowledge and understanding of the different
stages of physical, emotional, educational and spiritual development of children.
* Family Systems Intelligence: Comprehends the wide-range of family systems in the
culture, both healthy and unhealthy, and can formulate a reasonable plan for how to
minister effectively to each. Is convinced and committed to the notion that parents are,
for better or worse, the primary influence in a child’s spiritual formation and thus must be
engaged as partners in the process, even if that means having to reach and equip them
for the task.
* Leadership Intelligence: Exhibits a mature confidence and presence in leading,
training, and supervising staff and volunteers. Possesses an articulate and persuasive
vision for C&F ministries and can translate it into a practical strategic implementation
plan. Communicates vision and strategy clearly and persuasively. Is known to be an
encourager and equipper of volunteer staff.
* Relational Intelligence: Relates well to people, whether above, below, or parallel on the
organizational chart. Is well-liked by those who work in the ministry. Works well in a team
setting and enjoys collaboration in ministry development. Handles criticism well (whether
constructive or not), and has the intuition and skill to help resolve conflicts. Protects
confidences and anonymity where appropriate. Is loyal to staff, leadership and church.
* Adaptability Intelligence: Excels in an innovative environment and is comfortable with
a measure of uncertainty and change. Understands the dynamics of the change process
in an established church setting and does not become easily frustrated with resistance to
or slowness of change. Continues learning and challenging her/his own assumptions
and paradigms, and can process those thoughts effectively with others.
* Communication Intelligence: Possesses the ability to communicate clearly and
effectively with children and adults. Competent in a wide variety of communication
genres including vision casting, skills training, teaching both children and adults, one-on one
counseling/mentoring, small group interactions, etc. Understands the need for
constant communication with families and can effectively utilize multiple types of media,
both electronic and hard copy, for this purpose.
* Current in Field: Well read and able to identify and discuss current trends in C&F
Ministries. Able to evaluate and assimilate ideas and solutions from a wide-range of
sources for effective, biblical, cutting-edge ministry.
PREREQUISITES TO EMPLOYMENT
* Signature of full agreement with the FirstB statement of faith.
* Signature of compliance with the American Baptist Convention code of ethics.
* Submission to a criminal background check, the results of which can be a determining
factor in hiring.