This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Children's Ministries
Saratoga Presbyterian Church
Saratoga, California, United States
Date Posted: 02/15/2011
Categories: Christian Education - Church Staff
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Part-Time
Saratoga Presbyterian Church is seeking a gifted, energetic and experienced individual to develop a ministry to children and their families in Saratoga and the greater Silicon Valley area. This individual will design, implement and oversee a children’s ministry that leads children toward a living, real relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. He or she will have a personal relationship with Jesus that actively shapes his or her character and life choices. He or she will have a passion for discipleship, an understanding of how children grow spiritually, and a desire to connect SPC’s ministry with children in our community in real and relevant ways. This individual will enjoy working in a team-oriented ministry environment – both as a member of SPC’s staff leadership team, and as a leader of a children’s ministry leadership team.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND RELATIONSHIPS:
This person reports directly to the Co-Pastors as Heads of Staff and serves under the authority of the Session of SPC. This position is overseen by the Elder of Children’s Ministry.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Oversee Sunday programs for children at SPC, including designing and/or selecting any necessary resources or curricula.
2. Maintain a visible presence in Children’s Ministry events and programs.
3. Develop and effectively communicate the value and purpose of SPC’s children’s ministry to SPC families and the greater SPC community.
4. Recruit, resource, encourage and shepherd a team of volunteer leaders who possess a love for children, personal maturity and who reflect the love of Christ in their own lives.
5. Provide oversight to the SPC Nursery, including supervision of paid and volunteer nursery staff, as well as designing and implementing appropriate nursery care policies.
6. Regular and engaging communication with parents about their children’s participation and spiritual development.
7. Connect children and their families with the greater SPC faith community as appropriate.
8. Lead and coordinate various special events over the course of the year (e.g. Vacation Bible School, Christmas Pageant).
9. Ensure that all leaders and volunteers who work with children have had necessary training and screening commensurate with SPC’s Safe Church policies, maintaining all current records and paperwork.
10. Manage the annual budget for SPC’s Children’s Ministry.
11. Attend weekly program staff meetings and other leadership meetings as appropriate.
12. Develop creative ways to connect with children and families beyond the walls of SPC.
13. Provide opportunities for children to participate in mission and service in age-appropriate ways.
14. Coordinate childcare as needed for SPC-sponsored events.
1. An active, real relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
2. A deep love for children.
3. Previous experience in children’s ministry oversight.
4. Skills in communicating effectively with both children and adults.
6. Willingness to work as part of a team-oriented ministry environment.
7. Strong organizational, time management, follow through and problem-solving skills.
8. Demonstrable understanding of children’s emotional and spiritual development, and the ability to develop a ministry that reflects this understanding.
9. Ability to shepherd volunteer leaders in a manner that provides encouragement and spiritual growth.
10. Ability to think creatively and innovatively in planning and designing programs for children at SPC.
11. Willingness to teach Sunday school, if necessary.
1. Experience in developing and leading children in meaningful worship together.
2. Experience in involving children in worship services.
3. Understanding of family systems.
4. Understanding of the culture of Saratoga/Silicon Valley, and the unique challenges to and opportunities for ministry it provides.
20 hours per week
Resume’ with a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Pastor Ellen Steele at Saratoga Presbyterian Church, 20455 Herriman Avenue, Saratoga, CA 95070.