This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Elementary Pastor/Director (1st-4th grades)
Lake Avenue Church
Pasadena, California, United States
Date Posted: 04/30/2011
Categories: Children's Pastor - Christian Education
Church Size: 4001 to 5000
Job Type: Full-Time
Lake Avenue is an evangelical urban/suburban church with a history spanning over 110 years. Our culturally, racially, and socio-economically diverse congregation seeks to be a community that represents a Revelation 7:9 church. Lake Avenue Church is committed to the discipleship of 'each one' (Col 1:28) and is committed to the children families in our church and our community. Our long history, our goals and our congregational polity create a "messiness" where God's work is done and His Kingdom glorified despite (or because of) the visible and invisible differences in our community.
Lake Avenue Church is seeking a candidate that represents our community and looks forward to confronting the challenges that come with our diverse community. Applicants must have a minimum of three years experience leading and directing children's or family ministry in a large church setting.
Seminary degree is preferred
Bilingual is a plus.
The primary commitment of the Director or Pastor of Elementary Ministries is to provide spiritual, visionary, team-based, value-driven leadership for the elementary children (1st through 4th grades) and their families in a manner consistent with the mission, vision, core values and major objectives of Lake Avenue Church.
1. Character growing in Christlikeness with spiritual gift of leadership and pastor/shepherd.
2. Demonstrated track record of equipping people to do the work of ministry and passion for helping children and their families grow in Christ.
3. Demonstrated track record of capacity both to develop and implement effective, innovative and relevant ministry.
4. Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, administrative, organizational, communication and time management skills.
5. Demonstrated team player, innovator, and self-starter.
6. Demonstrated capacity to express care and compassion to those in need.
7. Demonstrated capacity to work with and lead people with a wide range of gifts, strengths, personalities, temperaments, and passions.
8. Demonstrated capacity to balance ministry and home life.
9. Full agreement with the Children¹s Ministries policies and procedures as stated in the Children¹s Ministries Handbook.
10. Full agreement with the LAC Statement of Faith.
11. Graduate seminary degree or equivalent work experience in Children’s Ministry.
THE SPECIFIC MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Be committed to children and families – Lead a ministry that reflects Christ’s love and commitment to children.
2. Be missional – Mold a ministry that supports this mission statement: Children’s Ministry exists to nurture children, in partnership with our families, towards: WORSHIPPING God with our whole lives, participating in Christ-centered COMMUNITY, and SERVING others as a lifestyle.
3. Be a partner with parents -- Recognizing that the parents are responsible for their child’s spiritual growth, create a ministry that supports the parents and provides opportunities for their children to know God.
4. Be a team player – Work with Children’s Ministry team to serve our families (with children from infancy through 6th grade) and partner with other LAC ministries to further the cause of Christ in our church and our city.
5. Be a leader and multiplier – Develop and implement ministries related elementary families by identifying, recruiting, developing, deploying and evaluating the required congregational leadership to sustain it.
6. Be a developer – Develop, evaluate and implement strategies and ministries to see our elementary families engaged in Lake’s “Essential Connections”: corporate worship, community, and service; giving each family the opportunity for intentional discipleship and mentoring in a ministry of multiplication.
7. Be a collaborator – Collaborate with the other LAC pastors and directors in order to enhance each other’s respective ministries and to strategize about a deeper commitment/involvement in intergenerational and multi-cultural ministry with a vision to becoming a local embodiment of a Revelation 7:9 church family in which each one is growing to become fully mature in Christ.
8. Be a crisis-care giver – Provide grace-filled pastoral care and support to those whose needs go beyond the capacity of a small group or congregational leader.
9. Be a servant – Create opportunities for service outside of LAC -- individually and corporately with staff, volunteers and preteen families.
10. Be a learner – Keep in touch with current trends relating to children’s ministry. Dialogue with ministry counterparts at other churches regularly. Attend enrichment venues (seminar/conferences) that develop leadership skills, inform children’s and family ministry, etc.
11. Be a Sabbath-keeper – Maintain the spiritual disciplines of six productive days of work followed by one of rest. This includes making ministry decisions that allow for a weekly Sabbath – creating an appropriate balance between ministry responsibilities, family and your relationship with Christ. Also create a regular rhythm of extended times with the Lord (at least one day away on a quarterly basis).
All interested applicants should e-mail their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes sent directly through churchstaffing.com will not be received by our search team.