This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Pastor of Spiritual Formation
BridgeWay Community Church
Fishers, Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 02/01/2011
Categories: Other Pastor
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
Pastor of Formation
Purpose: To lead the expression of formation throughout our ministries by multiplying groups, assimilating members, and providing opportunities for intentional discipleship.
Jim Collins writes great organizations get the “right people” in the “right seats” on the “right bus.”
The Right Bus:
Our Church: BridgeWay’s mission is life-change, and our vision is to be a Kingdom Church with Five Expressions: Missional, Worship, Formation, Power and Justice.
Formation at BridgeWay: During our ten year history, Spiritual Formation has been at the heart of the life-change process. We recognize that our people’s needs are diverse, and so our methods have ranged from traditional Bible studies to non-traditional spiritual discipline. Regardless of our method, we believe that every attender of BridgeWay must live authentically in intentional community, and form their lives around Jesus’ teaching and practices.
The Right Seat:
1. Small Groups: You must demonstrate a track record of both directing and multiplying small groups.
•Recruit, equip and mobilize coaches to oversee the growth and health of our groups.
•Create a culture where it is abnormal for a BridgeWay attender not to be in a small group.
2. Pastoral Care: You must demonstrate both the personal and spiritual maturity to be seen as one of BridgeWay’s “go-to pastors” for both spiritual counsel and pastoral care.
•Demonstrate both the personal and spiritual maturity to shepherd people well.
•Recruit, equip and lead BridgeWay’s Shepherding Team
•Perform sacerdotal duties (Pre-Marital Counseling, Weddings, Funerals, Baptisms)
3. Men’s and Women’s Ministries: You must have a strong passion for gender-based ministry.
•Serve as the staff advocate for our Volunteer Director of Men’s Ministries
•Serve as the staff advocate for our Volunteer Director of Women’s Ministries.
•Be recognized in our community as a leader of gender-based ministries.
4. Membership: You must have the ability to champion both the implementation and overall quality of our membership process.
•Lead and administrate BridgeWay’s “Life-Change Series” (Life-Change Courses are seminars required for Membership).
•Mobilize our people from the congregation into “The Core.” (Membership)
•Double the number of BridgeWay members within the next two years.
5. Assimilation: You must have the people and administrative skills to make first-time guests feel at home and implement a system for follow-up.
•Responsible for the recruitment and training of leaders and volunteers for our Frontline Ministry Team (Our Welcome Team).
•Prepare for our anticipated move into a new facility in 2012 and the facilitation of additional Welcome Teams during the transition.
The Right Person:
1. Organizational Leader: To be our Formation Pastor, you need the entrepreneurial skill to launch new ministries, but also the attention span to grow existing ministries. We’re not all about the numbers, but growth is measured by both quality and quantity.
2. Ministry Builder: To be our Formation Pastor, you need to have a demonstrated track record of growing the ministries you’ve led. You must cast a compelling vision, pounding the table when necessary to mobilize resources and people.
3. Aggressive Recruiter: To be our Formation Pastor, you need to have a nose to sniff out leaders, getting out there to meet them and not afraid to make “the ask.” The answer you hear from prospective leaders is never “no,” it is always “not yet.”
4. Systems Developer: To be our Formation Pastor, you need to have an uncommon combination of being both a people and systems developer. You need the capacity to not only manage today’s ministry, but to equip us for the ministry of tomorrow.
5. Credible Pastor: To be our Formation Pastor, you need to have the gravitas to be recognized by as “one of the pastors here at BridgeWay.” To grow our congregation, we need to broaden our pastoral base.
6. Compelling Communicator: To be our Formation Pastor, you need the ability to command the attention of a room. The ability to preach in the big room would be a big plus, but you will definitely need to communicate to groups of 50-100.
Our Hiring Values:
This position reports directly to the Executive Pastor of Ministries. If you believe you may be the right person in the right seat (and just as importantly that we are the right bus for you), forward your resume to email@example.com.