This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Abundant Life Church
Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 02/16/2011
Categories: Music Ministry - Worship Pastor
Denominations: Assemblies of God
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Part-Time
PLEASE NOTE: We are very interested in hiring a local individual for this position. All applicants will be considered, but please note that this job is part time in salary in expectations.
Who and Where?
ALC (Abundant Life Church) is a church of 800+ in the southern Baltimore suburb, Glen Burnie. The location of the church is also very close to Washington D.C., and our culture is very diverse. Explore our church at www.abundantlifechurch.us.
We’re crazy about people’s stories. We do our best to live out our mission: to provide everyone with sincere acceptance, introducing them to God’s grace and love. We live this out through community and global outreach, life groups and ministry teams.
Our weekend services (we do 2 each Sunday) last about 70 minutes, with half of that time dedicated to teaching. We’re guitar driven rock in style, and utilize different mediums of art to point people to Jesus (drama, dance, iMag). This past year, we have covered songs by The White Stripes, Muse, U2, Natasha Bedingfield, The Beatles, Katy Perry, and Bob Dylan (in fact, our whole teaching series last May was dedicated to the songwriting of Bob Dylan). You’ll also hear “praise and worship” style songs by Lincoln Brewster, Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher, David Crowder, and Christy Nockels, as well as original pieces, in our worship sets.
What does this job look like, and how will I succeed?
The Director of Music opportunity is, currently, a part time salaried position at ALC (Abundant Life Church). We expect about 25 hours each week. The salary for this position is $18-$25K a year, commensurate with experience. The Director of Music is directly responsible for:
1. Sharing the mission and vision of ALC.
2. Leading the music team at ALC.
3. Managing the arts teams at ALC.
We have a lot of values when it comes to this position, but four stand out:
1. Character: we want you to be pursuing Jesus with all of your life, and expect us to keep you accountable.
2. Chemistry: we want you to enjoy working with our team. This is really important.
3. Capacity: we want you to lead; this means you delegate responsibility rather than tasks (hint: developing people is a big deal).
4. Competency: we want you to be good at what you do on stage, behind closed doors, and in the hallway. Perfection is not the goal, but excellence is valued.
You will be awesome at this job if you:
1. Can lead a team of excellent musicians (create engaging practices, explore musical variety, pursue energetic interaction).
2. Can create on ramps for awesome people to join this team (we need processes to find artists and musicians and want you to help us to this).
3. Can lead forward with a team of artistic and production directors (music is one big part of the job, the other question is, can you affect a bigger artistic picture by collaborating with a creative team?).
4. Can you take advantage of your influence and help lead on a bigger level? If you can, the sky really is the limit for you here, at ALC.
How to apply and other FYI’s...
To apply for this position, send the following to Nate Drye, our Pastor of Creative Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Resume (PDF, Pages, or Word documents only).
2. References (PDF, Pages, or Word documents only)
3. Links to your youtube or vimeo videos
If we don’t have all three of those items in an email, we will not consider you for the position. DO NOT CALL THE CHURCH OFFICE TO APPLY, OR SEND AN EMAIL TO ANOTHER STAFF PERSON. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS JOB THROUGH THE CHURCHSTAFFING.COM WEBSITE
You will report directly to Nate, the guy mentioned above. Want to find out more information about him? Check out his blog: www.natedrye.com. There are links to his facebook and twitter pages there.
When it comes to your experience, we care. We don’t really have any specifics set in stone (i.e. seminary, college, 10 years experience), but we do want to know what you have done. We’re very interested in how you have led.
We also want to know what you are called to do with your life, and how this opportunity fits into that big, God idea.
So, when you send us a resume, keep these things in mind. We want to hear these things from you.
When it comes to references, we’d like to know what people around you think of you; this includes employers, but also co workers and peers. When you send us references, select a good mixture of employers, co workers, team players, and an enemy or two (just kidding, don’t send us an enemy).
Along with your resume, we’d love to hear and see what you can do. Upload a video of you leading worship to youtube or vimeo for us to see.
Don’t have anything for youtube, vimeo, or facebook you can share? Then, you won’t fit in with us. We rely on web communication and we’re seriously looking at web options for future ministry endeavors. If that is exciting for you, we may just get along.
Once you submit the three items over email to apply for the position, you will get a direct reply from Nate, our Pastor of Creative Arts; he will acknowledge that we have received your info, and that we will be in touch with you before March 1 if we want to take next steps. We take our hiring process very seriously. Around here, we believe in long hellos and short goodbyes. We want to give you the opportunity to get to know us, and vice versa. We also want to give several opportunities (for us both) to exit the process, or continue it. So, with each step, we will either close the door or continue on to the next step. You have the opportunity to end the process at any time. However, please keep in mind that once we invite a candidate in for a weekend visit, we hope to make an offer for the position. We do not bring a candidate in lightly, and we expect the candidate to only agree to visit if he/she has serious intentions. We hope to only schedule one person for a visit. The following is our formal hiring process:
1. Phone interview with Nate will be scheduled
2. Applicant will be scheduled for an online assessment
3. Phone interview with art directors will be scheduled and references will be called
4. Final phone interview with Nate will be scheduled
5. We will invite you in for a weekend to visit
6. We will make you an offer for the position
7. You will work with an awesome team