This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Gateway Bible Church
Warrenton, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 01/10/2011
Categories: Senior Pastor
Church Size: 101 to 150
Job Type: Full-Time
1. A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing, personal relationship with Him;
2. Committed to moral purity and a healthy relationship with his wife and family;
3. Meets the qualifications for elder (1Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4);
4. Committed to the vision, values, mission, style & theology of Gateway Bible Church;
5. Should possess a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or the equivalent;
6. At least 5 years of diverse experience with progressive growth to significant leadership responsibilities;
7. Strong experience and reputation for building high performance ministry teams and strong ministry leaders
and staff; and
8. Experience in church growth strategies that resulted in positive and sustainable church growth
Character: The Senior Pastor has a genuine love for God as described in Matthew 22: 37-39. He is
a man who walks with and whose life reflects the fruits of the Spirit as described in Galatians 5:
19-24. He is a man whose life reflects the qualities described in I Timothy 3: 2-7 and Titus 1: 6-9.
Key Areas of Ministry (Responsibilities):
This position requires a strong ministry leader who is an authentic persuader and influencer and who
can successfully impact the ministry in the following ways:
1. Demonstrates Visionary Team leadership: The Senior Pastor not only demonstrates highly effective leadership that
creates and maintains a team environment, but demonstrates impactful leadership that says, "People are important," that
is characterized by the following:
-A vision caster who is a strong communicator;
-A conflict manager and change agent who manages by goals;
-A shepherd of leadership Team, Ministry staff and Partners;
-A team builder, developer, delegator and coach;
-A strategic planner and thinker;
-A model/mentor/disciple; and,
-A skilled manager/leader that empowers and enables others.
2. Models Spiritual Maturity: The Senior Pastor has a "Heart for God" within his individual life that is modeled before the
leadership Team, Ministry Staff and Partners and is characterized by a focus in the following areas:
-Personally, he is accountable; he models spiritual maturity in his personal life; he values accountability with
other men (preferably Pastors outside GBC) and participates in the process; and manifests the aroma of
Christ as described in II Corinthians 2: 14-17;
-Within Gateway Bible Church, he has strong mentoring relationships with and disciples the Ministry Staff and
leadership Team; and disciples the Partners through communications and modeling.
3. Builds Strong Relationships: The Senior Pastor builds a broad relational spectrum between the "ministry staff' and the
Partners that is characterized by the following:
-Personal connectivity, transparency, and approachability;
-Models and encourages relationships;
-Demonstrates strengthened relationships by being a Home Group member;
-Possesses cross cultural connectivity-the ability to relate to people from other cultures; and,
-Practices Biblical family relationships.
4. Embraces Ministry Core Values: The Senior Pastor applies equal emphasis to all ministry core values with evangelism
and discipleship being the highest of equals. His commitment is characterized by the following:
-Publicly promotes the ministry core values through internal and external communications;
-Develops structure necessary to achieve the ministry core values;
-Recommends to the Leadership Team a Ministry that contributes to GBC core values;
-Recognizes ministries that do not support these values;
-Champions and models each area of the ministry core values;
-Knows how to measure success in each area of the ministry core values;
-Performs pastoral responsibilities such as visitation, counseling, worship services, baptisms, communion,
weddings and funerals;
-Committed to evangelism as being the leader among ministry equals; and,
-Advises the Leadership Team on GBC strategic direction and resource allocation.
5. Provides Sound Teaching: The Senior Pastor provides compelling Biblical teaching that shows in the transformed
lives of the Partners and is characterized by the following:
-Authentic, transparent, relevant and motivational style;
-Teaching in a "team context" as the Team Leader;
-Replicates in others-intentionally builds teachers and leaders, not the exclusive teacher;
-A persuader/influencer natural style;
-Lays out the vision to the Partners from the pulpit; and,
-Leads from the pulpit and within other ministry groups.
6. Leads and Manages Church Administration: The Senior Pastor provides managerial leadership in all areas of
Gateway Bible Church in the following ways:
-Provides guidance to ensure the smooth operations of Church ministries and Sunday service;
-Communicates regularly face-to-face, telephonic and email to Ministry Staff ensuring no gaps in
-Responds to Partner concerns and comments as soon as possible;
-Reviews this position description and recommends changes, as appropriate, to the Elder Team within one
year of his arrival and annually thereafter;
-Conducts all paid Ministry Staff evaluations formally each December and informally face-to-face quarterly or
more often as required; and,
-Ensures all baptisms, marriages, funerals and important events are recorded promptly as a matter of Church
7. Purposes to Grow: The Senior Pastor purposes to promote spiritually and numerical growth of Gateway Bible
Church in a fashion consistent with the core values. The Senior Pastor develops and champions creative growing
strategies, both within the church and in our community to enable high impact, unlimited growth for the Kingdom of God.
Other: A background investigation check is required for this position.
Reporting Relationships: The Senior Pastor reports to the Chairman, Leadership Team and will serve as a
permanent and voting member. The Senior Pastor will supervise and evaluate Ministry Staff and Ministry Heads except
the accountant. The Leadership Team will hire and dismiss Ministry Staff based upon the direct input provided by the
Senior Pastor. Additional details concerning the Senior Pastor are cited in the Gateway Bible Church Constitution.
To apply please do the following:
1. Go to https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5pJ3MbKPZMYYzA3YzlkMGMtYTE4Ni00OGNjLWEwMTMtNTYxZmZhYjVjZDVi&hl=en and download the pastor Candidate Questions. Please fill them out.
2. Email resume, pastor candidate questions and personal bio information to firstname.lastname@example.org
The above address contains our statement of faith and constitution. For more info on the church go to gatewaybiblechurch.net.