This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Scotch Plains, New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 12/16/2010
Categories: Senior Pastor
Denominations: Assemblies of God
Church Size: 1501 to 2000
Job Type: Full-Time
The Lead/Senior Pastor is a ministering member of the Pastoral staff at Evangel Church. This interactive and charismatic leader has a pastor’s heart while an excellent communicator of God’s word and its principles. This pastor’s primary purpose is to provide visionary leadership for the church, bringing it to the next level and for the next generation. He/she will mentor the other Pastors to meet the needs within the community of faith and beyond the walls of the church. These needs include, but not limited to, preaching, teaching, counseling, discipleship, managing life events, and visitation. As a Pastor, the role requires a person of strong character, commitment to Christ and His bride, and a love for all people.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Preaching and teaching the Word
• The Lead/Senior Pastor is well grounded and studied in the Word of God. The role requires that person would be able to communicate the truths of God’s Word to the congregation through many venues including the Sunday service, midweek Bible studies and others.
Mentoring Pastoral staff
• The Lead/Senior Pastor is responsible to lead and mentor the Pastoral staff and ministry leaders of the church, while showing awareness and support for all ministries in the church.
• The Lead/Senior Pastor is part of the counseling staff performed within Evangel Church. The actual tasks are shared with other Pastors, ministry leaders, or external counseling resources, but are managed by the Associate Pastor of Care Ministries.
Discipleship / Community building
• Works as a leader within Community and Discipleship ministry area, providing leadership, teaching, and insight to encourage an environment of community and disciples growing in Christ, while reaching out to others.
Assisting with life events
• Within every person, there are events that require the assistance of a Pastor. These events include baby dedications, weddings, and funerals, etc. The Lead/Senior Pastor will perform them with the assistance of the other Pastors.
• The job requires the visitation of those that are sick (hospitalized or in their homes) and those unable to leave their environments. The Lead/Senior Pastor is part of the visitation team.
Knowledge / Experience
• Must have a personal, life-transforming relationship with Jesus Christ, being baptized and living in the Holy Spirit
• An ordained minister, ideally recognized by the Assembly of God denomination
• Minimum of 15 years pastoral experience within a variety of church sizes ranging from small to large
• Proficient experience with multiple staff
• Proficient experience at counseling people with all types of issues
• Understanding of the budgeting process and budget planning for ministry
• Intermediate knowledge of North Eastern US culture
• Seminary graduate with a degree in biblical studies, theology, and/or counseling
Skills / Abilities
• Ability to mentor and disciple other Pastors and Ministry Leaders
• Must be a shepherd-leader with a servant’s heart that is sensitive to leading of the Holy Spirit
• An ability to teach God’s word clearly with practical life applications to enable life transformation
• An ability to work evenings and weekends, as necessary
• A person of excellent character, integrity and perseverance
• An innate team player with collaboration skills
• A charismatic, outgoing and friendly leader to all people in the community of faith or beyond the walls of the church
• An innovative, creative, imaginative leader and a self-starter
• Preaches the Word in truth
• A person that makes things happen, and not just watches them happen
*** Background searches and credit checks may be required within the application process.