This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Traditional Worship
Gloria Dei Luheran Church
Houston, Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/07/2010
Categories: Music Ministry
Church Size: 3001 to 4000
Job Type: Full-Time
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, a 3000+ member Christian community, is seeking a high-capacity, enthusiastic leader who passionately follows Jesus Christ as our Director of Traditional Worship.
In a team environment you're the guy - or gal - the Holy Spirit is prompting to lead our liturgical and traditional style music ministries. You'll work with our Director of Worship Arts - who leads our contemporary style expressions of worship.
As we seek to fulfill our mission, you will have primary responsibility (and you'll be held accountable) for developing, directing and overseeing our traditional worship services.
This leader must recruit and equip volunteer and professional teams to stay ahead of and prepare for the continued growth of the church. Evidence of strong organizational skills and the ability to team effectively with other staff members is essential. (We're relatively easy to get along with.) Understanding the strategic use of Texas barbecue is a distinct plus. Because of the nature of this ministry, flexibility in scheduling is required.
* Plan, coordinate and direct traditional worship, which includes developing the worship order, liturgy, and selecting hymns, special music and instrumentalists.
* Recruit and provide musical and spiritual leadership for traditional ensembles. These currently include:
Celebration Choir (60-65 mixed adults, fun group)
Men’s Choir (25-30, an enthusiastic bunch of guys)
Brass Ensemble (a few trumpets, a bone or two, a horn, and Goldie the tuba, mixed professional & volunteer, monthly+)
Orchestra and woodwinds (20-25, mixed professional & volunteer, special services)
* Supervise and collaborate with our excellent staff organist!
* Provide opportunity for gifted musicians and artists to utilize their giftedness from a ministry platform.
* Collaborate as a member of the Worship Planning Team.
* Work with and provide guidance to the volunteer directors of handbells (4 octaves) and 3 children’s choirs.
* Oversee the Worship Support teams (Altar Guild, ushers, communion assistants, sanctuary care, and acolytes).
* Prepare and plan funerals as they occur. Meet with the families to craft service and provide care.
* Neighbor and Huddle (Those are both verbs. You’ll just have to ask us.)
A complete ministry description is on the About Us page of our website, www.gdlc.org