This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Family Life Pastor of Children's & Youth Ministries
Trinity Lutheran Church
Joppa, Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 01/03/2011
Categories: Associate Pastor - Family Pastor
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
JOB TITLE: Family Life Pastor of Children’s and Youth Ministries
Trinity Lutheran Church, 1100 Philadephia Road, Joppa, Maryland 21085
The Family Life Pastor is supervised under the direction of the Senior Pastor with a primary focus on supervision with both the Children’s and Youth Ministry Leadership Teams. The Family Life Pastor works with the Senior Pastor and the Children’s and Youth Directors to coordinate the Children’s and Youth spiritual ministries of the congregation and is involved in pastoral duties as mutually agreed upon.
The Family Life Pastor will be required to lead, promote and oversee the spiritual development of our families consisting of our children and youth. The Family Life Pastor must demonstrate a genuine call of God upon his/her life, have the ability to work efficiently, exercise good time management in team situations as well as individually, and possess the ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with all levels of people in the congregation and community.
A. Pastor’s Devotional Life: To the best of the Family Life Pastor’s ability and with the help of God:
1. Personally engage in a disciplined devotional “Quiet Time” each day for prayer and Bible reading.
2. Pastorally support in personal intercession every member of Trinity congregation and especially those members know to be suffering with spiritual, mental or emotional trails.
3. Pastorally share in devotional prayer and meditation during pastoral, administrative, and faculty meetings as arranged by the Senior Pastor.
B. Visitation: Primary visitation will be to the Members Families of our Children and Youth. In addition, visitation to Prospect Families with Children and Youth.
C. Team Responsibilities
1. Supervise Children’s Ministry Director.
2. Supervise Youth Ministry Director.
D. Oversee and Coordinate the Confirmation Ministry for our 7th and 8th grade youth.
E. Administration: The Family Life Pastor serves under the direction of the Senior Pastor and authority of the Lay Ministry Leadership Team, with primary assigned responsibilities to Family Ministries consisting of the Children’s and Youth Ministry Leadership Teams.
Responsibilities shall be as follows:
1. The normal workweek for the Family Life Pastor shall be approximately 50 total hours. A pastor is always “on call” and available to serve, but not required to always being “on the job.” A weekly guide to determine a framework of time requirements and in scheduling work times shall be a follows:
Children’s Ministry & Pastoral Supervision and Involvement
Youth Ministry & Pastoral Supervision and Involvement
General Visitation (sick and shut-in, hospital to families of children ad youth.
Office Time (staff meetings and counseling)
Total Hours 50
2. Required office hours will be a minimum of 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon, 4 days per week; with one of those days always being Monday. This time shall be spent primarily for administrative tasks and staff meetings.
3. The Family Life Pastor will have one day off each week as agreed upon with the Senior Pastor. Additional time day off will be adjusted, each week, with hours on Saturday and Sunday.
4. Four weeks paid vacation will be used by the Family Life Pastor.
5. The Family Life Pastor shall attend the Children’s and Youth Ministry Team Meetings, the second Monday of each month.
6. The Family Life Pastor shall attend the fourth Monday, of the month, the Parrish Planning Council Meeting. In addition, scheduled Congregational Voters’ Meetings.
7. Administrative and Staff Meetings: The Family Life Pastor shall meet weekly for administrative, devotional, planning, and sharing time on the following levels:
a. Pastoral Meeting – Monday at 9:00 a.m.
b. Ministry Staff Meeting – Monday at 10:15 a.m.
c. General Staff Meeting – Monday at 11:00 a.m.
The Family Life Pastor must be outgoing, energetic, creative and who is a self-starter, possessing the leadership, team-building and organizational skills to oversee and grow a comprehensive Family Ministry to our Children and Youth.
Oversee the Children’s Ministry Director in coordination of all aspects of children’s ministry in the following:
1. Coordination of Team, Staff, Volunteers, etc.
2. Teacher Recruitment and Training
3. Curriculum Selection and Ordering
4. First Holy Communion
5. Student Registration
6. Attendance Tracking
7. Attendance Certifications
8. Kick-Off Day and Children’s Sunday
9. Parent Communication
10. Program Evaluation
11. Implementation of Program Changes
12. Supply Ordering
13. Record Keeping
14. Parent Volunteers
15. Room Assignments/Set-ups
16. Summer TLC Kids format, teacher scheduling, etc.
17. Distribution of curriculum/teacher books.
18. Trinity Talk/Bulletins
A. Approve all children’s ministry programs, curricula, activities and disbursement of funds for supplies and projects.
B. Assist in worship and preaching for Children’s Church designated weekends. Children services will be held in the Former Sanctuary.
C. Be available to visit and pray with children’s families regarding spiritual and family matters.
D. Proactively lay a foundation to draw children to Jesus Christ.
Oversee the Youth Ministry Director in coordination of all aspects of the youth ministry in the following:
1. Quarterly Wednesday Night Middle and Senior High School Youth Gathering for worship and small groups. This will include all aspects of worship leadership and small group planning and teaching.
2. Youth visitations, phone contacts and weekly e-mails.
3. Monthly plan Middle School Events (i.e. ice skating, bowling, etc.)
4. Middle School Website (Crossfire)
5. High School Website (J Crew)
6. Plan and lead outreach events in the community with concerts, games, etc.
7. Youth Leadership (serve as a resource person)
8. Youth Board Coordinators (serve as a resource person)
9. Youth Events (serve as a resource person and lead)
10. J Crew Sunday School
A. Be an example of an enthusiastic and expressive worshipper.
B. Foster an atmosphere of prayer among youth ministry at Trinity. Participate in prayer gatherings at Trinity.
C. Help youth form caring relationships with one another and teach church leadership skills to young people.
D. Sponsor workshops designed to support a healthy young life, e.g. communication skills, decision-making skills.
E. The Family Life Pastor would be expected to be part of worship leadership each Sunday, except when assigned to other ministry duties. Preaching commitment would be as follows the first year: 9 Sunday Worships, 3 Lenten Evening Worships and additional messages would be presented in the Youth Ministry as well.
F. Oversee and coordinate the Confirmation Ministry for the 7th and 8th graders.
G. Approve all youth ministry programs, curricula, activities and disbursement of funds for supplies and projects.
For personal growth, both in developments of pastoral skills and in personal skills, the Family Life Pastor shall involve himself/herself with the following as mutually agreed upon with the Senior Pastor:
1. Conference, regional and synodical meetings and conferences for pastors and congregation.
2. Regional and synodical workshops, especially in the areas of responsibility, within a reasonable geographical area.
3. Seminars and clinics as deemed helpful by the Senior Pastor and by the Ministry Leadership Teams
4. Keep abreast of the books and periodicals in the pastor’s specific areas of ministry for the latest developments and trends that may assist our congregation in these areas of ministry.
5. The Family Life Pastor will be evaluated yearly by the Senior Pastor, Children’s Ministry Team and Youth Ministry Team for personal development needs.
6. The Family Life Pastor may use five days per year for continuing education, as approved by the Senior Pastor.
DATE FOR REVIEW
This Job Description shall be reviewed annually with the Senior Pastor, in the months of June and January. It shall be annually reviewed in its entirety with the Senior Pastor and Personnel Team 30 days prior to the Family Life Pastor’s anniversary date.
*Note: Responsibilities are subject to change as agreed upon by the Senior Pastor.
• Bachelors’ Degree from accredited college or university
• Masters’ Degree from Seminary
• Ordained Minister
• Must have at least 3 years work experience of dealing with children and youth.