This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Union Baptist Church
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 06/16/2010
Categories: Senior Pastor
Denominations: Baptist -- American
Church Size: 101 to 150
Job Type: Full-Time
Union Baptist Church of Cambridge, an affiliate member of the American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts, seeks a pastor who has a passion for teaching and imparting the Word of God to galvanize the membership to grow spiritually and who is administratively and financially astute. 1 Timothy 3:1-7
The pastor shall be a baptized and committed follower of Jesus Christ whose life bears testimony of divine calling and gifts of ministry. The pastor shall preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, administer the ordinances, watch over the membership, visit the sick and shut-in, have in his/her charge the spiritual welfare of the congregation and any stated services of public worship.
• Plan and conduct the worship services, prepare and deliver sermons, and lead in the observance of the ordinances of Union Baptist Church.
• Visit members who are infirm and unable to attend worship services and other programs and services of the Church.
• Provide pastoral counseling, perform wedding ceremonies, conduct funerals and other stated services of public worship, and perform dedication services of children.
• Lead and teach members and visitors in a weekly Bible Study of the Good News of Jesus Christ.
• Preside over all business meetings of the Church and at all meetings of the Leadership Council.
• Serve as an ex-officio member of all boards, clubs and auxiliaries.
• Work with and assist the Union Social Action Foundation in fulfilling its purposes.
• Work with Church leadership and members as they perform their assigned responsibilities and facilitate their training.
• Work with association, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern, keep the Church informed of denominational development, and represent the church in civic matters.
• Supervise seminarians and ministerial staff.
• Report on the state of the Church to the membership at Church meetings.
• Supervise the paid Church staff in conjunction with the chair of the Trustee Board.
• Manage the varied resources of the congregation with effectiveness and efficiency and ensure the life of the congregation is carefully organized and lines of authority are well defined.
• Lead the Church’s evangelical growth and effectiveness beyond the walls of the Church.
• Perform other duties as approved by the membership of the Church.
Candidates should have pastoral experience or have served in an assistant pastoral role leading a church congregation. Candidates must have a demonstrated record of preaching and teaching from the Holy Bible.
Candidates with at least a Master of Divinity degree from a recognized and accredited seminary, divinity school, or Bible college would be preferred.
Candidates must be an ordained member of the clergy, preferably in the American Baptist Churches.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1