This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
General Ledger Accountant
San Diego, California, United States
Date Posted: 06/11/2010
Denominations: Assemblies of God
Church Size: 2501 to 3000
Job Type: Full-Time
GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT
The General Ledger Accountant’s primary responsibility is to manage the business and financial functions of Newbreak including all accounting systems, budget, finances and additional business projects as they arise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain appropriate accounting systems to ensure the complete, accurate, and timely reporting of financial
information in accordance with GAAP and other regulatory agencies.
• Maintain and revise monthly financial closing documentation.
• Reconcile and review monthly fixed asset accounts with general ledger.
• Supervise and maintain inventory tracking process.
• Prepare and analyze quarterly/ annual account analysis reports pertaining to cost and inventory including account
postings, balancing, and reconciliation to the General Ledger and subsidiary accounts.
• Implement controls, as needed, to make sure amounts paid are in accordance with current contracts.
• Develop, implement, and maintain budgeting for all ministries including monitoring performance to plan.
• Provide financial analysis of operations to identify areas for cost reduction, improved cash flow, and revenue
enhancement (if applicable).
• Advise, counsel, and interpret accounting implication of operating activities.
• Carry out special projects as assigned by the Executive Management team relating to the operations of the business
and finances of the church.
• Implement policy and procedures and other internal controls to provide for the control and safeguarding of assets.
• Coordinate annual audit and tax return preparations with outside accounting firm.
• Work closely with other ministries to ensure a smooth, efficient financial operation.
• Hire, orient, supervise, train (and/or ensure training is provided) and evaluate the finance/accounting department and
staff (inclusive of, but not limited to, AP/AR and payroll/timekeeping staff)
• Maintain professional working relationship with outside third parties: banks, investment advisors, CPA firms, etc.
• Reviews and reconciles accounts, documents and makes any necessary adjusting entries. These entries will include,
but are not limited to, amortization of prepaid charges such as insurance premiums, accruals of expenses incurred but
not yet billed, such as materials and supplies received, and utilities used.
Education and/or Experience (must have one or more of the following)
o Bachelor's Degree (in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting is preferred but not required).
o 5-7+ years related experience and/or training, (experience with a church or non-profit corporation is a plus).
o Equivalent combination of education and experience.
o Knowledge of current GAAP, IRS, FTB rules/rulings.
Must be willing to become a member of Newbreak Church