This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Pastor of Spiritual Formation & Discipleship
Stayton, Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 06/04/2010
Categories: Associate Pastor - Discipleship Pastor
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
The Setting We Enjoy:
Foothills ministry is much like inner city ministry but in the green canyons of the Oregon Cascades. We are a post-rural pre-suburban community and have a wide range of people and families that make up our church. The local medical community is well represented and so is the local indigent patient. On any given Sunday we'll have a successful business owner sitting in a row with a front line cannery worker. We have loggers and bloggers, drug dealers and financial planners. We have a very diverse mix of religious backgrounds: new age nuts, practicing and recovering catholics, presbyterians, episcopalians, methodist’s, baptists and unchurched. Last Easter we were just shy of 1,000 men, women and children. On a typical Sunday we run between 450 to 650 men, women and children. We’ve had 31 baptisms since January 2010 and half of our baptisms have been adults. Some have been kids of church families and some are kids leading their families in their faith decision. We are a poor community. The median household income in Stayton is $42,000 and Sublimity is slightly higher at close to $50,000. We have very strong and positive relationship with our community and are located at 975 Fern Ridge Rd. Stayton, Oregon and www.foothillsstayton.org. We are looking for a someone who can work with blue collar, white collar and no collar.
The Vision God Gave Us:
We continually cultivate a missional heart and have a vision of "becoming a whole church for the broken world." All in all, we are a very healthy church with some clear ideas of our strengths, weaknesses and where we are heading.
Some People Who Influence Us:
Jesus, Erwin McManus, Matt Chandler, Tim Keller, N.T. Wright, John Sailhammer, Gerry Breshears, Mark Driscoll, Donald Miller, the makers of xBox 360, Robert Lewis, John Eldredge, Malcolm Gladwell, Patrick Lencioni, U2, Wayne Grudem, C.S. Lewis and Steve Jobs.
Some Tools We Use:
The Foothills Topography, McManus’ Character Matrix, Robert Lewis’ Men's Fraternity, North Point’s 252 Basics, Orange, Celebrate Recovery, Divorce Care, Strengths Finders , the Living From Your Strengths stuff, iPhones, MacBooks, fly rods, hammers and trucks.
What You Would Need to be Like:
- have a heart and head for Jesus, his word and people
- an excellent communicator and teacher in small and large groups
- genuinely humble and extravagant in your service
- flawed but growing and experiencing God
- able to disciple a broad range of people and develop leaders who do the same
- a critical and strategic thinker
- be really good with people
The Role You Would Play:
- Take the point in developing a culture and movement of discipleship that is biblically grounded, intensely relevant and deeply personal within our community.
- Infuse that culture into the children, youth, family and seniors at Foothills and our community so that we have a coherent language and consistent call to what it means to be a disciple of Jesus from the cradle to the grave.
The Responsibilities You Would Have:
- Direct and oversee all adult ministry areas including, but not limited to, Small Groups, Discipleship, Equipping, Assimilation, Women’s Ministry and CR.
- Provide discipleship, counseling, encouragement, prayer, support, and visitation, as well as ministering in weddings and funerals as needed.
- Transform our small group ministry into a discipleship enterprise.
- Preach at least six times per year as assigned by the Lead Pastor and in accordance with your gifts and the Teaching Team schedule.
- Enable the vision set forth by the Lead Pastor and elders.
- Call people to a Bible-based, Spirit-enabled life of character growth, worship, service and community.
- Provide leadership and oversight for missional efforts locally and globally.
The People You Would Work With:
- The Lead, Children’s and Youth pastors.
- The Elder Shepherding Team and Teaching Team
- Small Group leaders
- Women's Ministry Director
- All adult ministry leaders
- The Celebrate Recovery Leadership Team
- The Deacons
The 4 Things We Need From You:
- A resume with a picture of you (and the family if applicable)
- 250 words or so on why sending us your resume was worth your time, a brief statement of your perspective on discipleship, your thoughts about the last book you read, and the name of your favorite TV show.
- A link to you preaching, or a .mp4, .mov, or mp3 of the same
- A link to your website, blog or facebook page
Send to Tim at email@example.com