To advocate and coordinate all aspects of spiritual growth for adults (post-college) at Friends Church, including oversight of small groups and adult education opportunities, and to partner with the Executive Pastor of Ministries in evaluating and improving the process by which adults at Friends Church live out the church’s mission statement of “Becoming a community of authentic Christ-followers.”Primary ResponsibilitiesSpiritual Growth:
The spiritual growth pastor is responsible for overseeing all aspects of spiritual growth for adults at Friends Church. His/Her duty is to continually work and improve the process by which the adults at Friends Church live out the mission statement of “becoming a community of authentic Christ-followers.” A major part of this responsibility includes the creation and implementation of a “spiritual growth” process for the adults at Friends. Specific responsibilities within this facet of the job description are:
• Partner with the Executive Pastor of Ministries to help architect and implement the spiritual growth process by which adults at Friends Church live out the church’s mission statement of “becoming a community of authentic Christ-followers.”
• Evaluate on an ongoing basis the effectiveness of the spiritual growth process at Friends and make adjustments as needed.
• Be knowledgeable with current ministry trends and best practices in ministry, especially in regards to spiritual growth, and incorporate those as needed within the context of Friends Church and its culture.
• Provide leadership and oversight to the coordination of all-church initiatives to the extent that they involve spiritual growth components.
• Recruit and train volunteer leaders to assist in any of the above duties as necessary.Community Groups:
As small groups are essential in helping adults exist in community and become increasingly authentic in following Christ, a responsibility of the Spiritual Growth Pastor is to oversee the small group ministry at Friends Church. Specific responsibilities within this facet of the job description are:
• Continually evaluate and improve process by which adults at Friends Church are placed into small groups.
• Enlist, equip and encourage leaders and the leadership network of Community Groups.
• Plan, coordinate and, if necessary, supervise the composition of, all-church small group curriculum on an annual or semi-annual basis.
• Be knowledgeable with current ministry trends and best practices in small group ministry, and incorporate those as needed within the context of Friends Church and its culture.
• Support other departments in their small group efforts as needed.Adult Education Opportunities:
In addition to the above, there are additional opportunities whereby the adults at Friends Church are educated in what it means to be authentic followers of Christ. It is the Spiritual Growth Pastor’s responsibility to oversee these aspects of the church life. Specific responsibilities within this facet of the job description are:
• Adult Bible Classes
1) Supervise and manage weekly Adult Bible Classes.
2) Enlist, equip and encourage teachers for Adult Bible classes.
3) Substitute teach in classes as needed.
• Adult Electives: As deemed necessary, plan and oversee adult education electives. Teach these electives as needed and recruit and train volunteer teachers to lead education opportunities.
• D-1 Discipleship
1) Provide oversight and leadership to the D-1 Discipleship program at Friends Church.
2) Enlist, equip and encourage volunteer disciplers.
• Recruit and train volunteer leaders to assist in any of the above duties as necessary.General Pastoral Duties
• Establish departmental goals and objectives by prioritizing related programs, managing the use of facilities, planning an appropriate budget, delegating tasks and evaluating progress regularly.
• Administer the work of the teaching ministries of the church by encouraging teamwork and mutual support and providing leadership and nurture to staff members who work in the department.
• Partner with appropriate staff and volunteer leaders in carrying out the ministry of the church.
• Attend staff meetings, retreats, and conferences; keep current in related field.
• Cooperate with the Executive Pastor of Ministries by performing any other duties when assigned or requested.
• May conduct weddings, funerals, and baptisms as requested.QUALIFICATIONSSPIRITUAL:
Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and must have a heart for ministry. Must hold to the Statement of Faith, Position Statements, Mission Statement, and Core Values and Ministry Values of Yorba Linda Friends Church. Those that serve God on the staff at Yorba Linda Friends Church are expected to set a high standard of personal conduct and lifestyle. It is required that all staff members are members of Yorba Linda Friends Church.EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
A bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum three to five (3-5) years experience in a related ministry; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must become commissioned through SWYM.KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLSSKILLS:
Must be proficient in the Microsoft Suite of products. Excellent interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, and mathematical skills. Must be a self-starter. Must be confidential, flexible, accurate, and have good follow-up skills. Strong managerial skills. ABILITY:
Ability to understand, teach and live out Biblical truths. Ability to comprehend written and oral information and to express written and oral information with clarity. Ability to identify problems, exhibit both inductive and mathematical reasoning. Ability to travel. Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays, as requested.PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT: .
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Friends Church reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities within this job description at any time.
To Apply, please email your Cover Letter and Resume to the following EMAIL link, thank you.