This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Associate Director of Contemporary Worship
Epiphany Lutheran Church
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 05/06/2010
Categories: Music Ministry
Church Size: 2501 to 3000
Job Type: Part-Time
Epiphany Lutheran Church in the south suburbs of Dayton, Ohio is seeking applicants for the position of Associtae Director of Contemporary Worship. Job to begin as early as mid July. We are seeking applicants with strong musical ability, as well as a passion for corporate worship with organizational and administrative skills. Job description is below, submit resumes to email@example.com.
Job Title: Associate Director of Contemporary Worship
Department: Music Ministry
Part Time Position
Supervisor: Associate Pastor
Job Summary: Lead and manage contemporary worship by directing or facilitating Epiphany’s praise teams and special music on all campuses. Supervise, evaluate, and coordinate all worship teams and ministries supportive of contemporary worship.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Direct Contemporary Worship
- Serve as worship leader utilizing musical excellence and prayerful engagement of congregation, mentors other worship leaders to do the same.
- Sing, play keyboard and/or guitar, and lead a praise team each week for weekly practices, pre-service warm-up, worship services, and other events as needed.
- Select and expand a repertoire appropriate for contemporary worship at both campus in consultation with pastoral staff and praise teams, aggressively identifying new songs, formats, and liturgies for worship.
- Recruit and retain diverse cross-section of disciples to serve on praise teams. Schedule and manage annual auditions for singers and instrumentalists in the fall to realign teams and schedule for the coming year.
- Publish schedule of praise team personnel and worship elements (i.e.: soloists, ensembles, liturgies, themes, songs, etc.) for weekly contemporary worship services and special events.
- Plan weekly contemporary worship liturgy and song selections in consultation with pastoral staff for both campuses, providing means by which congregation participates
- In collaboration with pastoral staff ensure that liturgies are appropriate for liturgical season and encompass appointed Scriptures while incorporating appropriate themes and special music elements including bells, puppets, children’s choirs and dramas.
- Maintain and manage library of contemporary music and prepare weekly music binders for praise teams rehearsals with volunteers.
- Strong Christian spirituality and commitment to the congregational worship experience
- Passion for vibrant and creative worship that connects people to Jesus in a spirit of joy, wonder and growth resulting in the growth of worship attendance, and overall quality of the worship life of the church
- Must be flexible in approach and have a willingness to change as needed in order to keep services and worship style up to date, relevant, genuine and energetic.
- Must possess creative leadership skills, the ability to be a team player, and openness to emerging church trends.
- Must be capable of leading small groups in prayer and preparation for worship
- Must be willing to cooperate and perform other duties, as required.
Preferred Education and Work Experience:
- College degree in music or related field.
- Experience playing keyboard, guitar and/or other musical instruments
- Experience leading worship activities in a church with an average worship attendance of 500+ per week
- Experience leading a contemporary worship service driven by a praise band/vocal praise team and leading said teams in weekly practices/rehearsals
- Experience in building and leading teams including a band, vocalists, choirs and ensembles.
- Experience in writing/arranging music to fit capabilities of singers and instrumentalist, including keyboard, guitar, brass rhythm, and percussion
- Experience with audio and visual technologies
- Ability to lead the congregation in contemporary worship (gathering, welcome, all worship music, and liturgical elements between and throughout the service).
- Above average ability to sight read sheet music and to play from memory, along with a knowledge of chords and the ability to play based only on chords
- Strong background and experience in organization, management, and communication, possessing the necessary skills to oversee the integration and interfacing of various ministry teams into a cohesive flow of worship life, through coordination of meetings and regular communication
- Multi-tasking team player with a positive, Spirit-filled attitude having the ability to set priorities and support other staff members
- Ability to recruit, audition, assimilate, train and direct musicians and vocalists resulting in the formation of new and various worship teams
- Experience and comfort level working with both accomplished musicians as well as self-taught musicians motivating both to continue striving for higher levels of excellence
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to speak publicly, give briefings, perform in front of large groups, lead or direct large and diverse audiences, organize and prepare reports, plans, training materials and/or musical/theatrical programs
- Strong team building/motivational skills, capable of working well with small groups of volunteers
- Ability to oversee purchasing and maintenance of all printed church music and ensure compliance with copyright laws
- Punctuality and regular attendance is expected
- Strong computer skills with some exposure to a variety of multi-media systems, as well as audio/visual production.