This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Associate Pastor of Discipleship
Carlisle Evangelical Free Church
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 05/20/2010
Categories: Associate Pastor - Discipleship Pastor
Denominations: Evangelical Free
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
CARLISLE EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF DISCIPLESHIP
The Associate Pastor of Discipleship is a full-time position whose responsibility is to advance adult discipleship and develop lay leadership throughout the church. The church is committed to a vision and mission of full discipleship and this key position will ensure that the vision is carried out. Specifically, the Pastor of Adult Discipleship will deepen the congregation’s spiritual growth and biblical knowledge by providing leadership and vision to key ministries that promote the development of authentic Christian community, discipleship, and accountability so that adult members of the body are assimilated and built up in unity and maturity in Christ. This position is specifically responsible for providing leadership to the assimilation and discipleship ministries of the church that include our adult Learn & Live classes (adult Sunday school), small groups, and assimilation ministries. This position will also be the point of contact for the men’s, women’s, and senior adult ministries and assist those ministry leaders with communication, training, and teaching as required. In addition this position will share in the preaching responsibilities for the church approximately 20% of the time.
The Associate Pastor of Discipleship must:
A. Give testimony and life witness of: (1) spiritual gifts relevant to these areas of ministry; (2) prior ministries in these areas; and (3) God's affirming blessing on those ministries. The spiritual gift of teaching is required.
B. Have an appropriate and adequate education, preferably at the graduate school level, in an area of study relevant to the ministry responsibilities. Have prior pastoral and ministry experience.
C. Have a sound knowledge of Scripture and an ability to effectively apply Scriptural principles in ministry that lead to life transformation.
D. Be a stable, mature and growing Christian with an exemplary personal, marital and family life.
E. Possesses solid leadership and management skills and be able to effectively lead large ministry teams.
F. Have a love and passion for both making disciples of believers and reaching unbelievers through a personality that can reach out to all types of people and win their trust and confidence.
G. Be a self-motivated, extroverted individual, who can create, develop and implement effective ministry strategies for his key areas of responsibilities.
H. Be committed to a teamwork approach and work well with other pastoral staff, lay leaders, volunteers and ministries within the church.
A. Critical Priorities - Provide leadership and oversight for the Learn & Live classes (adult Sunday school) and Small Group ministries of the church, as follows:
1. Promote a church-wide culture that: (a) encourages people to move into relationships of authentic Christian community (b) encourages people to move toward deeper levels of intimacy with Christ and (c) encourages a better understanding and knowledge of the Scriptures.
2. Develop and oversee a systematic discipleship ministry that helps people grow from salvation into spiritual maturity.
3. Develop mentoring and discipleship relationships with current group leaders as well as work to recruit new teachers and assistants as needed to meet the needs of the church body. Regularly meet with group leaders.
4. Cultivate new groups to meet the needs of the various people within the congregation.
5. Develop equipping and training materials for both leadership personnel and the congregational body as a whole.
6. Oversee the quality and content of adult curriculum and the quality of the teaching.
B. Provide leadership and oversight to assimilate new attendees into the CEFC fellowship, including:
1. Lead, oversee, and provide vision and training for the church’s assimilation ministries.
2. Help foster a warm and welcoming church atmosphere where the love of Christ is practically shown to visitors and new attendees.
3. Help new people find a place to grow spiritually and relationally at the church, primarily through Small Groups, Learn & Live Classes, and our Men’s and Women’s Ministries.
4. Create effective assimilation programs and methods that help new visitors get connected within the church and develop into mature disciples.
5. In conjunction with the staff, facilitate the follow-up of visitors to the church.
C. Provide pastoral care for the church family, as follows:
1. Visit members of the church during lengthy hospital stays or otherwise as needed.
2. Be available for Spiritual counseling as needed.
3. Fulfill other pastoral duties as required (e.g., weddings, funerals, baptisms, communion, prayer, etc.).
4. Provide teaching and preaching as needed.
D. Be the point of contact for the men’s, women’s, and senior adult ministry directors and assist with communication, training and teaching as required.
E. Work as a member of a strong leadership team supporting and teaching the vision, mission, and values of the church.
1. The church’s overall vision is: To glorify God by living all of life for Christ.
2. The church’s mission is: To be completely devoted to Christ in every area of life. We seek to grow in our relationship with Christ and our community; praise God for his character and deeds; and serve Christ as we serve others.
3. The church’s staff and leadership values include - Grace: Extending the love and forgiveness of Christ. Relationships: Valuing & viewing people as God does and resolving conflicts Biblically. Excellence: Striving to do all things with excellence in and for Christ. Devotion: Committed and dedicated to Christ, our mission, and one another. Outreach: Reaching out to those who do not know Christ & showing them His love & grace. Discipleship: Growing in a deepening relationship with Christ & helping others do the same. Sacrifice: Modeling Christ by thinking of others before ourselves & being obedient to God. Teamwork: Working through teams of people, each person using their God given gifts. Humility: Guarding against pride and remembering that all we have is from God. Flexibility: Being open to growth and change, as the Lord directs.
IV. ADMINISTRATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
A. Reporting and Evaluation: Will be accountable to and evaluated by the Operations Pastor (CEFC’s title for Executive Pastor) and work closely with the Senior Pastor.
B. Coordination: Will coordinate ministry with all other pastoral staff, lay leaders and volunteers to enhance the ministry of the church.
C. Planning and Execution: Will develop annual budgets, goals, and strategies for his area or responsibility with the input of the operations pastor and provide clear communication with regards to progress, results, and obstacles.
If interested and qualified, please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open and the search committee is considering resumes. (updated 4/8/10)