This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Millington Baptist Church
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 05/06/2010
Categories: Senior Pastor
Church Size: Not Applicable
Job Type: Full-Time
Millington Baptist Church is an established regional church strategically located in a prime suburban New Jersey community just 40 miles outside of New York City. With a weekly attendance of 350-400, the MBC church family has embraced the vision of “Knowing Jesus, Being Jesus to each other, and Bringing Jesus to the world.” We are seeking a Senior Pastor who will provide strong leadership to help us realize that vision more fully through in-depth preaching, dynamic discipleship, and engaging outreach.
POSITION DESCRIPTION – SENIOR PASTOR
AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND QUALIFICATIONS
MILLINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH
The Senior Pastor is to be the spiritual leader for Millington Baptist Church (MBC). This role includes preaching the Word of God, performing all the scriptural duties of his office (1 Tim 3:1-7; Acts 20:28, Titus 1:6-9 and 1 Peter 5:2-3), and, along with the Elder Board, having general oversight of the shepherding of the congregation so that the Body is built up and equipped to do the work of Jesus Christ.
His passion to know and glorify God should be apparent through vital personal and corporate worship, edification of the Body, discipleship, outreach, and effective leadership of Staff and congregation.
The Senior Pastor, along with the Elder Board and Staff, is also responsible for communicating and making come alive our church vision of Knowing Jesus, Being Jesus, and Bringing Jesus, for ascertaining the overall direction God has for MBC, and for soliciting congregational support. He shall implement the church vision in collaboration with the Elder Board, Staff and the congregation.
The Senior Pastor shall supervise the church Staff and is himself accountable to Jesus Christ, to the Elder Board, and to the members of MBC.
The position described herein is a result of fervent prayer, careful consideration, and the collaborative effort of the Board of Elders, Staff, and Senior Pastor Search Team as of January 2010. It represents what we believe to be God’s very best in a senior pastor for MBC. The qualifications and standards presented here are indicative of the candidate we are seeking and the outcomes our Senior Pastor should produce on an ongoing basis.
AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
The Senior Pastor is to be responsible for the following areas, sometimes as a leader, sometimes as an encourager, sometimes as a trainer, always acting in love toward those he touches.
• Commit to be a man after God’s own heart and to serve the body in the power of the Spirit.
• Shepherd the MBC congregation according to the model of a servant leader (1 Peter 5:2-3).
• Seize opportunities to motivate and train members and ministry team leaders, exhorting the Staff into a deeper and more profound walk in the Spirit, encouraging them to identify and develop their spiritual gifts matching them with the capacity of our resources. In so doing, he will hold to the model of Ephesians 4:12 in “equipping the saints to do the ministry.”
• Commit to foster a one team/body environment (1 Cor. 12)
• Shepherd the Staff, mentoring them and ministering to them.
• Responsible for discipleship, evangelism, outreach, and fostering healthy relationships in the church body, training the congregation to lead in their sphere of influence and in their communities.
Preaching/Teaching the Word
• Be the primary expositor of God’s Word to the congregation. As such, he shall strive to communicate Biblical truth with passion, excellence and relevance, providing clear application to congregants’ daily lives. (Be the vision)
• Model the application of God’s Word to his life and to the situations that are encountered by the congregation on a daily basis (Discipleship in action).
• Provide oversight for MBC worship services. Oversee the overall direction of worship services at MBC, providing guidance to and ensuring collaboration with the Pastor of Worship and others as they lead in worship and seek together to draw the congregation into a rich worship experience.
• Offer reconciliation to Christ for each person within the church
• Offer hope to the despairing and healing to the wounded
• Be an advocate of the family—creating and establishing tools that will help foster godly parenting and build family relationships.
• Affirm the value and specific needs of the various groups within the church body (i.e. singles, seniors, etc.).
• Support the ministries of the church which foster member-to-member care.
• Provide pastoral counseling within the limits of time and expertise. Make referrals, when appropriate, using the skills within the Staff, the congregation and the community.
• Oversee weddings, funerals, baptisms and community worship opportunities as deemed appropriate
• Promote, establish, or create various forms of personal and corporate evangelism that hold true to the heart and character of God that can be implemented in Basking Ridge and surrounding communities.
• Regularly present the Good News of God’s redemption in Jesus Christ in his teaching and preaching.
• Actively support & encourage involvement in local, regional, and international MBC ministries.
• Responsible for the overall administration of MBC on a day to day basis, overseeing the Director of Administration. Interpret and direct the implementation and execution of provisions of the church Constitution and the approved policies of the church.
• Supervise the church staff and conduct an annual review of each staff member for review by, and discussion with, the Board of Elders.
• Support, encourage and seek the means to equip the staff, Elder Board and ministry team leaders in their respective spheres of ministry. Assist them in setting ministry goals and hold them accountable for their responsibilities.
• In collaboration with the Elder Board and staff, conduct an annual review and evaluation of all ministries and church functions in accordance with set goals and expectations.
• Participate in conferences and ministries, as approved by the Elder Board.
• Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and believe the Bible to be God-breathed, inerrant and the foundational truth in a believer’s life.
• Demonstrate a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Spend regular time in personal Bible study, prayer & worship.
• Display a passion to know, trust and follow Jesus.
• Be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit in his life and ministry, allowing the Spirit to have free reign in his preaching and teaching, with a central focus on the person and work of Jesus Christ.
• Be willing to equip others to use their spiritual gifts.
• Live an exemplary life based on clear biblical principles.
• Adopt as personal standards the requirements of an elder as set forth in 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9.
• Support and commit to the MBC Statement of Faith, Constitution and Vision Statement.
• Possess strong preaching, teaching, leadership and discipleship skills.
• Have a theological position that is exegetically informed.
• Substantial experience or demonstrated ability leading a multi-person staff environment.
• Ideally, possess a minimum M. Div. or equivalent degree from an accredited evangelical seminary.
• Ideally, possess a minimum of seven to ten years of pastoral experience in a thriving multi-pastor church.
• Actively involved in a peer accountability group (Prov.27:17)
• Gives evidence of a strong marriage and healthy family relationships.
• Be self-motivated, proactive and take steps of faith when led to do so by God.
• Exhibit characteristics of warmth, friendliness, empathy and sincerity; exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
• Have a desire to minister in the Basking Ridge community and surrounding areas.
• Be committed to local, national and international missions.
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: firstname.lastname@example.org