The Associate Pastor position primarily focuses on leading areas within the church which enable a person to take their next step in their spiritual walk. Areas of responsibility will include Discipleship, Counseling, Small Group Ministry, and a regular level of preaching enabling the pastor to connect with the Crossroads congregation. Position will include other responsibilities as assigned by the Lead Pastor which are detailed below.
Specific Ministry Responsibilities:
Small Group Ministry
a. Implements church’s vision and philosophy in regards to Small Group Ministry by developing and executing a strategy
that targets seeing 85% of our regular attendees in small groups.
b. Recruits and trains small group leaders
i. Responsible for assessing and approving new Small Group leaders
ii. Creates development plans for new leaders and works with leaders to help them grow as small group leaders.
iii. Approves study materials for Small Groups.
iv. Oversees placement of people into Small Groups.
c. Coaches and mentors Small Group Leaders
a. Operates as the counseling leader for Crossroads
b. Responsible for building a team of lay counselors from within the church body.
c. Takes responsibility for counseling individuals who are troubled due to spiritual questions, personal problems, sin
d. Assists in providing premarital counseling.
e. Takes responsibility for providing counseling for couples experiencing difficulties in their marriages and families.
a. Implements church’s vision and philosophy in regards to Discipleship by developing and executing a strategy for
discipling Christ followers at Crossroads to equip them for reaching lost people for Christ.
i. Blends intellectual components (theology, skill development, etc) with experiential components (involvement in
serving, involvement in lives of others) to create a comprehensive Discipleship strategy.
b. Recruits and trains Disciple-makers
i. Responsible for pursuing and training Christ followers who can serve in a one-on-one (or one-on-a few) setting
to build into the life of others.
ii. Responsible for approving study materials for discipleship groups.
c. Responsible for helping people take their next steps in their walk with Christ.
i. Challenges both unbelievers and believers as necessary to go outside of comfort zones to take their next step in
their walk with Christ.
ii. Assists people in identifying spiritual giftedness and getting involved in areas of serving that correspond with
iii. Assists people in equipping new believers to begin getting involved in the life of people around them who they
can help in their spiritual walk.
Preaching & Programming Ministry
a. Assists Lead Pastor by preaching a minimum of 12 times per year.
i. Preaching style must be able to connect with an audience that is comprised of a strong number of seekers, as
well as believers.
ii. Will also be called upon to preach an entire series from time to time.
b. Acts as part of the team responsible for planning related to the Sunday services and completes duties related to this
responsibility creatively and efficiently
a. Will be responsible for supervising various ministry areas as assigned by the Lead Pastor. This may include areas
outside of the main responsibilities listed above.
b. Supervises special events within the church on an as-directed basis.
c. Performs other duties as requested by the Lead Pastor including, but not limited to visitation, weddings, funerals,
administrative pastoral responsibilities, evangelism opportunities, follow-up, etc.
Personal Qualifications Required:
• Must maintain a vital and growing personal walk with the Lord through committed Bible study, prayer, and time spent
contemplating God’s Word.
• Must maintain proper priorities in your home.
• Commits to the principle of tithing 10% of gross income and financially supports the ministries of Crossroads Community
Strengths, Giftedness, Experience, & Miscellaneous Requirements:
• Organizational and administrative skills.
• Comfortable with recruiting and training of volunteers.
• Possesses a shepherd’s heart.
• Possesses demonstrated leadership ability and is willing to continue to develop as a leader.
• Understands ministry is not a “9 to 5 job” and is willing to dedicate a minimum of two nights per week to ministry related
activities. Night demands are balanced with flexibility that is present with the position so as to promote a healthy work/life
• Actively lives out and models for the church a strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Crossroads.
• Agrees fully with the Baptist General Conference Affirmation of Faith and Crossroads Community Church Statement of Faith
• Works within the assigned budget for the areas they are involved in.
• Builds team by being comfortable and willing to lovingly challenge leaders, volunteers, or church members as needed when
issues arise as well as admitting mistakes to same people as they occur.
• Commits to resolve conflict via Biblical guidelines spelled out in Matthew.
• Must be a person people can relate to and find easy to approach with their questions or concerns.
• Must be a person who believes that the purpose of Discipleship is to raise up Disciple-makers who reproduce themselves
by going out and reaching seekers and seeing them discipled, not simply to feed people knowledge.
• Regardless of areas of giftedness, must still have a heart for outreach. Must be consistently pursuing and fostering
personal evangelism opportunities within and outside the church for purposes of winning others to Christ. Demonstrates
this as a priority to others.
• Basic software skills are required. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Christian school and/or a graduate degree from an accredited seminary is
preferred but not required. However, candidate will be asked to present their plan for pursuing further education if they have
not yet done so.
• Prior full time ministry experience is a plus, but is not required. However, any candidate must demonstrate how they have
been actively involved in the ministries of their local church and speak to why they believe it has prepared them for this role.
Relationships and Contacts:
• Reports to the Lead Pastor
• Frequent contact with Ministry Leaders over which they are assigned supervision responsibilities.
• Works closely with other staff members.
• Works closely with Small Group Leaders and those acting to disciple others.
• Reports out to the Leadership Team as requested.
• Works with outside contacts to continually examine and improve the effectiveness of the ministries they are involved in at
• Intentional about building relationships with people within the Crossroads congregation.
If you are interested, please send questions or your resume to email@example.com.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Operations PastorVertical Church
- Durham Area, North Carolina
- December 2
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1
Associate Pastor for Community Connection and Life DevelopmentFBC Mableton
- Mableton, Georgia
- November 30
Associate MinisterAlliance for Transatlantic Theological Training
- 2 Blackburne Place, Not Assigned
- November 30
Executive Pastor of MinistriesBakersfield First Assembly
- Bakersfield, California
- November 29
Crossroads Community Church
Crossroads is a 3-year old church plant in Sheboygan, WI. We are a fast growing, contemporary, seeker-sensitive church that communicates the timeless, life-changing truths of the Bible, in a culturally relevant way, with the goal of being a safe place for all people to meet Jesus and grow in a relationship with Him. More...