This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Music & Arts
Saratoga Presbyterian Church
Saratoga, California, United States
Date Posted: 11/25/2009
Categories: Media/Technology - Worship Pastor
Denominations: Presbyterian -- PCUSA
Church Size: 351 to 500
Job Type: Full-Time
Are you passionate about sharing your faith through music and art? Do you love creating opportunities for others to encounter our living God through worship experiences? Do you thrive on ministering to fellow musicians and artists?
Saratoga Presbyterian Church is looking for a Director of Music & Arts to partner with our two dynamic pastors to plan and offer meaningful, God-inspired worship experiences for our congregation and newcomers. We are an active and vital church of over 400 members in the heart of Silicon Valley. Music is an integral part of our worship.
The Director of Music & Arts will be responsible for the music and associated technology for our traditional/blended service, our contemporary service and other events. If you are interested in applying, please submit your cover letter stating why you are interested in this position, your resume and sample(s) of your work as described at
If you are interested in a part-time position responsible for only one style of worship service, please apply. We will consider hiring two part-time Directors of Music & Arts, one responsible for the traditional/blended service and one responsible for the contemporary service.
Thank you for your interest in serving the Lord through music and art.
Saratoga Presbyterian Church
TITLE: Director of Music and Arts (Traditional & Contemporary Services)
PURPOSE: This individual is responsible for leading the musical aspects of the traditional Sanctuary and contemporary Fireside services. This individual will provide pastoral leadership to the choir and contemporary worship teams, including weekly arrangements of music, vocal training, and instrumental rehearsals. In partnership with the pastors, this individual will oversee music for the Sanctuary and Fireside services and occasionally for special services as needed. This person will see as a primary function the facilitation of others’ ability to encounter the living God through the worship experience.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND RELATIONSHIPS: Reports directly to the Co-Pastors/Heads of Staff and serves under the authority of the Session and the Worship Commission.
1. Serve as a minister and shepherd to the choir, worship teams, musicians, emphasizing teamwork, fellowship and healthy communication among one another.
2. In consultation with pastors, participate in the weekly planning of worship music in the Sanctuary and Fireside services.
3. Serve as a member of the Worship Commission.
4. Direct the adult choir and the organist in the rehearsal and presentation of music appropriate to the life of the church for the Sanctuary service.
5. Lead weekly rehearsals and presentation of music appropriate to the life of the church for all musicians and vocalists involved in the upcoming Fireside service.
6. Oversee the recruitment and organization of participants in the music ministries, sound and media teams.
7. Develop musical gifts in volunteer members and provide instruction in musical technique for both worship services.
8. Place weekly song/hymn lyrics into PowerPoint/Media Shout slides.
9. Attend weekly staff meetings with pastors and program staff to discuss program and worship matters that pertain to the Sanctuary and Fireside services.
10. Supervise the development of children and youth musical ministries as opportunities permit, in consultation with Children’s and Youth Staff leaders.
11. Provide for substitutes at all services, in consultation with the Pastor and Worship Commission.
12. Prepare and submit an Annual Budget Request to the Worship Commission, and to conduct the ministry of music for the Sanctuary and Fireside services within the approved budget.
13. Participate with the Personnel Commission in the preparation of annual written performance reviews of staff related to the department of Music Ministry.
14. As needed, collaborate with musical talent from Sanctuary and Fireside to facilitate all church worship events.
1. A vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
2. An equal love to worship God through a traditional and contemporary style of worship.
3. Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team.
4. Previous experience in choral directing and contemporary worship leadership.
5. Knowledgeable in a wide range of Christian worship music and an ability to integrate musical variety in to a worship service.
6. Vocal and/or instrumental proficiency.
7. Proficiency in sound and multi-media in worship.
8. Ability to incorporate technical arts in to the worship experience.
9. Desire to grow and gain new skills and knowledge in the area of worship leadership.
1. Degree in music or choral directing.
2. Worship leadership in a multi-generational church setting.
3. Recruitment and leadership of volunteers.
4. Use of multi-media in worship, including use of PowerPoint and Media Shout software.
5. Technical knowledge of soundboard.
TERMS OF POSITION:
Salary: $40,000-47,000, commensurate with experience
Hours: 30-36 per week
Sick Leave: According to SPC Employee Handbook
Holidays and Vacation: According to SPC Employee Handbook
Professional Development: Negotiable
Benefits: According to SPC Employee Handbook