This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 10/30/2009
Categories: Worship Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Part-Time
Our mission at Asbury United Methodist Church located in Raleigh, NC is to know God intimately, grow in our relationship with God and others, and Go out and influence the world for Christ
Asbury United Methodist Church is a growing congregation with two distinct worship services. One is Contemporary and the other a blended service leaning towards traditional. It is located in North Raleigh and has a combined worshipping congregation of around 500. Our blended service has a choir with a variety of instrumentalists accompanying them. We have recently upgraded the audio system and added a projection system to our worship area.
Currently we are looking to fill the position for a Part-Time Music Director responsible for the music at the blended / traditional service.
Reports to: Worship Arts Director
Hours: This part-time position is anticipated to be 20 hours per week.
This position is responsible for leading the choir in anthems and the congregation in music at the blended / traditional Sunday service. This position is part of a shared ministry to create an atmosphere of worship during the Sunday morning service.
* Direct, coordinate, and lead weekly choir rehearsals and hand bell rehearsals for Sunday service.
*Lead singing at Sunday service and direct the choir
* Consult with the pastor and worship arts director to plan, select, and prepare special music/anthems for all worship services and special church activities.
* Arrange for appropriate music for the times when a choir is not present and/or a substitute when not present for worship services.
* Assist with preparing the music budget for approval.
* Arrange for the care and maintenance of the pianos of the church.
* Coordinate music for weddings and funerals as requested with remuneration by the individuals involved.
* Work cooperatively with other Asbury UMC staff members, the Worship Committee, and church leadership.
* Baccalaureate degree preferred with a focus in music or music education, with an emphasis in choral music.
* Five years of experience as church music director preferred.
* Ability to play piano a bonus.
* Experience in directing volunteer church choirs, hand bell choirs, and related groups of all ages.
* Willing to support the Asbury UMC’s mission, its worship programs, and spiritual needs through excellence of the music program.
* Display leadership ability to inspire and sustain interest on the part of volunteer choir members or instrumentalists.
* Display strong and cooperative interpersonal skills and flexibility.
* Perform effectively in a team environment with limited supervision.
To apply for this job please forward your Cover Letter and Resume to our Search Committee chairperson, Mrs. Sharon Hensley by email.