This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Media and Communications
First Federated Church
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 10/22/2009
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Director of Media and Communications
Reports to: Sr. Pastor
Works closely with: Sr. Pastor, Pastor of Worship and Arts as well as other pastoral staff
General Job Description: The DMC has overall responsibility for the sound, lighting and media aspects of our weekend services and classes as well as other special events held at the church. Additionally, the DMC is the gatekeeper for the assimilation and communication of information about our ministry both to our members and regular attenders as well as our community.
Weekend services and events(30%)
- Recruit, train and coordinate a pool of audio/visual volunteers. While expertise in audio and lighting issues is a must for this position, the emphasis is on empowering others to develop their skills, not doing everything yourself. The DMC should fully staff the needed positions and then be prepared to fill in, train, and troubleshoot when necessary. This includes volunteers serving as sound and lighting technicians, IMAG, and those videotaping and duplicating audio and video of morning services. There is a live feed of the morning services to several in-house areas as well.
- Schedule and train a PT assistant (10 hr/wk) to be able to handle an increasing number of media-related tasks. Currently most of this is centered on preparing for and executing rehearsals (along with volunteers) as well as assistance on Sunday mornings.
- Work with both inside and outside personnel/volunteers to create set designs which are visually engaging and appropriate to the variety of services we offer.
- Locate or develop graphic aids for messages
- Oversee video production projects. While filming and editing capabilities are a definite plus, we do have volunteers who are capable in this area as well.
Financial oversight (30%)
- Responsible for oversight of a nearly $100,000.00 media budget. Roughly 50% is directed toward maintenance of existing equipment.
- Maintain, purchase and coordinate installation of media related equipment as needed in all areas of facility.
- Develop promotional pieces for upcoming message series or special events
- Oversee web page development and maintenance (currently use Expression Engine)
- Oversee development and production of weekly newspaper or web-based equivalent.
- Help in resolving desktop computer issues for staff.
- Attend all regularly scheduled staff prayer and planning meetings.
- Assist staff member and volunteer leaders with day to day media needs
- Oversee IT-related issues; making determination if they are outsources to our IT vendor or resolved in-house.