This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Pastor or Director of the Children’s Ministry Department
Tacoma First Baptist Church
Tacoma, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 08/21/2009
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: Baptist --SBC
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
The Pastor of Children's Ministries shall be responsible for the oversight of children's programs, newborn through sixth grade. The primary role will be to preach and teach to young children and their families while balancing an active plan to recruit, train, and develop leaders who will intentionally help to produce committed young Disciples of Christ.
A. The Pastor of the Children's Ministry shall be directly accountable to the English Language Ministry (ELM) Pastor with oversight accountability from the Senior Pastor of Tacoma First Baptist Church.
B. The Pastor of the Children's Ministry shall promote unity and accountability to all other Pastoral Staff and ministry functions within the church.
C. The Pastor of Children's Ministries shall serve as the point-leader for the Children's Ministry Team to include paid and volunteer Staff Members.
Degree in or working towards a degree in Christian Ministries or Religious Studies (B.A., M.Div., Th.M.)
Minimum four years paid or volunteer experience in shepherding, planning and coordinating programs specifically designed to discover, grow and sustain the spiritual development of young children and their families.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Servant Leadership (Personal Development and Spiritual Growth)
• Spends quality time daily in prayer and Bible study
• Is engaged in consistent memorization of scripture
• Spends a portion (2-3 hours) of one-day-per-week in off campus evangelistic in/outreach (ie. visitations)
• Is involved in personal discipleship, either small group or one-on-one
• Is able to prioritize the spiritual growth and support to self and own family while supporting ongoing demands of work in the ministry
Discipleship (Preaching & Teaching Young Children & Families)
• Provides clear vision and a challenging mission statement for the Children’s Ministry
• Provides energetic and creative systematic Bible teaching and age appropriate worship
• Provides oversight and aids in the selection of all Sunday School curriculum
• Plans evangelism focused in-reach (families attending church) and outreach (families not attending church) events and opportunities
• Has direct oversight and maintains strong situational awareness of the following key areas of ministry: Children's Sunday School, AWANA, Nursery, Summer Programs (VBS, 5-Day Club), and Special Events (Easter, Christmas)
• Conducts planned (and as ministry dictates) visitations with families of children in the ministry, serves as an aid in the communication of children and parents and encouraging church and worship to begin at home
• Plans, organizes and facilitates family seminars providing a biblical basis for parental development (ex. Five Love Languages of Children, Biblical Views on Discipline, Approaching Sex Education in the Home)
• Plans and coordinates Parent and Teacher meetings to effectively facilitate communication throughout the Children’s Ministry Programs and Events
• Oversees the development and daily implementation of the Children's Ministry budget
• Oversees the development of children's music, worship and choir
• Oversees special ministries and events such as Holykidz, Taekwondo, Korean Dance Team etc.
• Develop list of supplies needed and seek approval and funds from the Children's Ministry Director
Mentorship (Recruiting, Training and Developing Adult Leaders Involved in the Children’s Ministry)
• Able to provide direction, spiritual oversight and vision to the Children Ministry Team members
• Responsible for establishing goals for his ministry and implementing strategies for their attainment through the power and direction of the Holy Spirit
• Able to construct a leadership development plan for continuous growing and discipleship of volunteer and paid staff in the Children’s Ministry Department
• Maintains close, personal accountability and ongoing evaluation of volunteer and paid staff in the Children’s Ministry Department by building healthy and spiritually challenging relationships
• Conducts a 6 month evaluation of all staff members reporting directly to the Children's Ministry Pastor
• Oversees leadership selection and training process, maintaining a high standard of excellence in those chosen for leadership
• Performs background checks on all staff
Accountability (Supports the Vision of the Church, its Ministries and Staff members as One Body in Christ)
• Serve as a liaison with Pastoral Staff and Ministry leaders to ensure that children are integrated into all church ministries as much as possible
• Participate fully as a member of the Pastoral and Ministry staff
• Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Pastor
Additional Qualification (Language Skills)
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret educational materials in English
• Ability to read and understand Korean Language is preferable, candidate must be comfortable with obtaining and utilizing a translator if/when necessary to meet the unique needs of the church
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to many different ages and backgrounds of children
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from parents, staff or congregation
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of this job and the level of work performed by employees in this position. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.