This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Christian Formation Director
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Hampton, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 07/16/2009
Categories: Christian Education
Church Size: 151 to 250
Job Type: Part-Time
Director of Christian Formation
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Overview. Emmanuel Episcopal Church is searching for a Director of Christian Formation and Youth Ministries. This individual will work with the Rector, educational staff, and the Christian Formation Steering Committee to help develop, guide and provide resources to enable a viable Christian Formation program. This individual will work with our youth and teenagers to help them grow in their understanding of God’s desires and strengthen their ability to serve as an effective element of Christ’s body on Earth.
• Who we are:
o EMMANUEL’S PURPOSE …
- To be a loving and welcoming community of faith, worshiping God and serving Him in a troubled world.
o EMMANUEL’S VISION …
- To be a growing, joyful community of faith, filled with people committed to sharing the fruits of their faith with others.
o EMMANUEL’S VALUES…
- Our faith is Christ centered.
- Our calling is to His way of love.
- Our ministry is caring for each other and serving God in His world.
o OUR FAMILY…
- Our parish includes many families of diverse backgrounds bound together by our faith in God, our belief in mutual support, and our stewardship to outreach programs in our community, our diocese, and the world. We have developed strong Christian Education and music programs, both for our children and for the adult members.
Job Description: The Director of Christian Formation and Youth Ministries shall orchestrate the entire educational ministry for the youth in our congregation in order to deepen their knowledge and understanding of God, His world, and their individual ministries while enhancing the overall Christian Education experience for children and teens. This position will report to and implement direction provided by the Rector.
Salary: Salary Expectations Required. This is a part-time position expected to work approximately 15 hours a week plus 3 hours on Sundays. Attendance at holiday and/or festival events is expected. Time off, vacation time, and continuing education to be negotiated; however, participation in Diocese Christian education and formation training is key.
• Committed Christian, dedicated to youth ministry is required. Knowledge and understanding of the history and processes of the Episcopal Church are highly desired.
• Formal Director of Religious Education (DRE) training, significant experience teaching Sunday School, or comparable activities is desired. Individual will be expected to attend training sessions with Diocese personnel and in other churches in the local area.
• Good communication skills (both written and oral) are required. Computer skills with common office software (Microsoft Office) also required.
• Human relation gifts in personality, energy, a commitment to youth, and a desire to share your time and talent with our young people are of great value. Personal growth and participation in available on-going training and personal education is expected. Dynamic/energetic/creative personality desired.
• Participation in professional organizations and attendance at appropriate conferences will be negotiated as funds allow.
Reports to: Rector
• In conjunction with the Rector, education staff, and Christian Formation Steering Committee, continue the development of an overall educational program of study, nurturing and fellowship for youth and teens; manage its execution. Key tasks include:
• Day to day management of the normal church year education programs
• Ensure education staff is present and prepared for these programs
• Work with associated churches to plan and execute summer Bible School
• Assist in the planning of special/seasonal church programs
• Develop educational budget for Vestry Approval. Manage approved budget.
• Order required material and supplies
• Attend monthly staff meetings, quarterly church planning meetings, and monthly Diocesan DRE meeting
• Along with the Christian Formation Steering Committee, serve as advocate for Christian Formation & Youth Ministries
Secondary Duties: (Facilitate learning experience beyond Sunday School/Youth Programs)
• Be a resource person (when called upon) for worship programs and seasonal events
• Work with the Rector as required as a resource for special events
Package and Expectations:
• Work schedule: 15 hours a week plus 3 hours on Sunday and/or special events
• Exact work locations and timing to be in accordance with needs of the Rector and the specifics of assigned tasks
• Initial 90 day probationary period followed by an evaluation by the Rector
• Vacation will be negotiated
• Vacation schedule and other absences will be pre-approved by the Rector
Contact Information: Only resumes with salary requirements will be considered. Please send resume to Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 179 E. Mercury Blvd., Hampton, VA 23669 or Fax to 757-723-5429 or via e-mail to email@example.com.