Director of High School Ministries
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church is looking for a passionate, energetic leader in the position of Director of High School Ministries with a clear and compelling vision for leading students (9th-12th grade) to follow Jesus Christ.
This individual will provide leadership and oversight to ministries related to high school students and their families. Primary responsibilities will be to recruit, train, and develop adult and student leaders who will intentionally reach and help high school students.
They will partner with families, functioning as a resource and equipping parents to be the spiritual leaders of their homes, leading their own students towards spiritual maturity.
Who we are
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, a growing community of approximately 1000 worshippers each weekend and 225+ weekly-involved middle and high school students, is looking for a full-time Director of High School Ministries. Our church mission is to “Share God’s love, welcome others into His church, and grow to become like Jesus.” We are committed to our students growing in their knowledge and love for Christ and loving one another through relational ministry.
St. Mark’s is located in the Cedar Rapids metropolitan area which has a population of over 250,000. We serve families that come from over 6 high schools. Many of our families live within the Linn-Mar School District, a highly respected district within the state of Iowa.
St. Mark’s is excited about and anticipating a major building addition of 30,000 square feet of ministry space. Included in this addition is an exciting new youth ministry space! We hope to break ground in September of 2009 and plan to have the building complete in 2011.
Please take a look at the website for, REVIVE, the Flood Relief mission trip we hosted in Cedar Rapids last month in conjunction with Lead222. Two hundred youth and leaders from around the country stayed at Coe College and together with St. Mark's volunteers put in over 6400 worksite hours on flood victims homes:
We have solid team of staff members who are all hoping for someone with a solid call, a solid lifestyle, and a solid drive to accomplish great things for the Lord (and also a solid sense of humor!). We desire to take our mission seriously and ourselves not as seriously. Everything is in forward motion here, and we are excited to see who God is preparing for us, as we work together to accomplish what He chooses to do next.
If you exemplify the following qualities, please apply:
• Strong devotional life and personal conviction of biblical truth.
• Flexibility and a good team player.
• Attentive to detail.
• Desire for and demonstration of reaching out to un-churched and those who do not know Christ.
• Philosophy of ministry that is clear, engaging, challenging and communal.
• A teachable spirit; eager to be coached and mentored.
• Demonstrated ability to relate to students and their parents, foster a loving and safe environment, and exhibit strong communication and public speaking skills.
• It would be a benefit to have musical abilities and a gift for leading worship as well.
Overview of Job Duties and Responsibilities
1) Provide vision, oversight, and direction to the High School Ministry, and establish goals for this ministry and implement strategies for their attainment.
2) Establish and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, volunteers, community leaders, teachers, and school administrators.
3) Recruit, coach and supervise small group leaders and coaches, team leaders, volunteers, administrative staff, programming/creative team and student leadership team, and champion the value of connecting students in small groups.
4) Communicate the Gospel and biblical principles in a creative and culturally relevant manner to high school students.
5) Stay current with the ever-changing student culture and ministry trends,
6) Develop and execute an annual calendar of events and environments for the High School Ministry that works in symmetry with the overall youth ministry and helps accomplish the vision and goals of the ministry. This would include, but not be limited to, ongoing large group and small group environments, camps, mission trips, retreats, and outreach events.
7) Oversee details such as promotions, record keeping, paperwork, technology, budgets, etc. in coordinating all High School Ministry programs, worship services, trips, conferences, and events.
8) Develop an effective plan to transition students in and out of High School Ministry (from Middle School and then into College/Post-High School Graduation) in an effective and positive way that compliments the adjoining ministries and allows students to continue on in the journey of growth.
9) Receive guidance and supervisory support from the Director of Youth Ministries who oversees sixth through twelfth grade ministries.
10) Assist teenagers in integrating with the broader church community and becoming life-long disciples of Christ.
11) Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• At least 2 years full-time student ministry experience, or equivalent
• A successful track record of leading a student ministry of 50 active-students or more.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in an area of concentration that has equipped them for vocational ministry.
• Strengths in the following areas: leadership, administration, teaching, communications as well as strong relational abilities.
• Align with the vision, mission, values, and doctrinal statement of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.
• An ongoing display of Christ-like behavior, treating others with dignity, respect, compassion, integrity, ministry commitment, and professionalism.
• Strengths in recruitment, training and mobilization of staff and volunteers for ministry.
• Computer training and experience with the internet, data systems, and MS Office and MS Publisher with a willingness to learn new technology.
• Regular attendance in ministry and worship at St. Mark’s.
Benefits and vacation are offered as well as a salary commensurate with experience. If, after prayerful consideration, you feel God’s leading to pursue this opportunity, please e-mail your resume and a cover letter to Janette Fiedler at: firstname.lastname@example.org , or via regular mail to St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 8300 C Ave. NE, Marion, IA 52302. No phone calls at this time please.
Deadline for resume submission: Wednesday, July 22, 2009.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor/Director of Youth MinistryThe Bible Chapel
- McMurray, Pennsylvania
- December 7
High School/Young Adults PastorFBC Loganville
- Loganville, Georgia
- December 7
Senior High DirectorCalvary Church
- Roseville, Minnesota
- December 7
Student PastorGrace Point Church
- San Antonio, Texas
- December 6
Student Ministry PastorUniontown Bible Church
- Westminster, Maryland
- December 6
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
St. Mark's Lutheran Church is a 2,300 member church located in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa metro area. We are a member of Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). The mission of St. Mark's is "To share God's love, welcome others into His church, and grow to become like Jesus". We strive to achieve this mission through strong ministries in Worship Arts, Service and Missions, Youth and Children's Ministries, Discipleship and Small Groups among others.
To learn more about St. Mark's please visit o More...