This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Galilee United Methodist Church
Sterling, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 06/17/2009
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Full-Time
Galilee United Methodist Church
Staff Position Description
Position: Executive Director
Purpose: The Executive Director provides oversight and direction to all lead staff and ministry/mission areas. The Executive Director owns the day-to-day responsibility for making certain all areas are functioning at maximum effectiveness in fulfilling the purpose and strategic goals of the church.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervises: Church Staff (Approximately 12)
Work Hours: Forty (40) hours per week
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide spiritual leadership to the church, its staff and laity. This includes seeking to live a deeply committed Christian life, looking for opportunities to minister, disciple and encourage others to grow in Christ.
• Develop systems and structures that nurture, supervise and develop all ministries and support staff.
• Foster clear communication of the vision and the plan throughout the staff and keep the Senior Pastor and church leadership committees informed of all significant operations and personnel issues.
• Manage, mentor and provide overall direction to the staff. This includes ministry assessment and performance evaluation, strategic planning and goal setting, mentoring, spiritual direction, encouragement, support and conflict resolution. The Executive Director will be expected to meet regularly with his/her staff to promote effective communication and direction.
• Manage human resource responsibilities including personnel policy clarification, benefits coordination, interviewing, hiring, performance management, and conflict resolution as necessary.
• Team with the Senior Pastor to equip and empower the Finance Team to provide Biblical stewardship leadership through integration with stewardship events.
• Create, implement and monitor an effective plan for budget and staffing needs, including balancing both spending and staffing requirements with the need to ensure that each ministry area is an effective steward of the personnel and financial resources at its disposal.
• The Executive Director will be a critical communication link within the church by providing effective communication between all ministry areas, staff, and laity. Responsibilities include being the main point of contact for the staff with the Ministry Council and leading weekly staff meetings.
• Executive Director will work with Senior Pastor and Ministry Council on strategic planning and interface with ministries and staff to implement the strategic plan.
• Coordination of staff retreats, annual state of the church meeting (Charge Conference), and any other staff functions.
Knowledge and Abilities Required:
• Strong biblical foundation for wise management in a church setting. Able to establish and maintain appropriate standards for the accomplishment of ministry in a way that honors both God and people.
• We are looking for a proven leader and strategic thinker who will guide the lead staff in casting vision and mobilize administrative support to maintain and advance the ministry of Galilee UMC. Since we work primarily in teams at Galilee UMC, the Executive Director must understand group dynamics and group discernment which leads to effective consensus building and decision-making in the spirit of knowing God’s will for the church.
• Strong interpersonal skills – ability to communicate persuasively and compassionately both orally and in writing.
• Must be highly organized and able to multi-task across competing priorities within the church.
• Proven fiscal responsibility - We are looking for someone able to recruit, train, and manage staff and oversee at the macro level a wide variety of budgeting and administrative responsibilities.
• Must be competent in the review of budget reports and be able to spot and correct errors in reporting as well as give leadership as to how to adjust the budget if need be for the most effective ministry to happen.
• While it is not a requirement for the job, the ideal candidate will have the ability to teach/preach occasionally.
Minimum qualifications and Experience:
The Executive Director is a member of the highest level leadership team in the church. As such it is critical that he or she:
• Be deeply committed to Christ.
• Practice the spiritual disciplines and fulfill the requirements that are expected of all partners of Galilee.
o Attend worship every week, unless ill or out of town.
o Serve God by participating in both a ministry and a mission of Galilee.
o To be an initiator and leader, forward thinking and committed, willing to be responsible and held accountable for staff and ministries and missions under his/her direction.
• Possess a basic understanding and agreement with United Methodist theology.
• Capable of maintaining confidences, effectively listening and communicating, and able to resolve conflicts.
• Ability to prepare for and attend the following monthly meetings (usually evenings):
o Ministry Council
o Staff Parish Relations
o Finance Committee
o Trustee Committee
• Minimum 5 years demonstrated success in an executive leadership role
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Strong administrative and leadership scores on spiritual gifts assessment
• Preferred: 3-5 years in leadership in a large church or other ministry setting