This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Music - Traditional
good shepherd presbyterian church
los alamitos, California, United States
Date Posted: 05/18/2009
Categories: Worship Pastor
Denominations: Presbyterian -- PCUSA
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Part-Time
Searching for an energetic and experienced Director of Music to lead and inspire our congregation to praise God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit through the medium of traditional music. Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church is an evangelical congregation affiliated with PC(USA)
The Director of Music will be responsible primarily for Traditional music working less than 20 hours per week. The position reports to the Head of Staff while working closely with the Director of Music - Contemporary and the rest of the Staff.
Primary Responsibilities include:
1. Develop and direct the Chancel Choir to enable them in supporting worship and proclamation of God's Word in music appropriate to the service style and tone
2. Identify needs, develop and execute plans to improve the musical abilities and technical skills of the Chancel Choir
3. Support the pastor in selecting hymns and anthems appropriate to the service.
4. Secure and oversee all instrumentalists and singers involved in assigned worship services
5. Work with coworkers and volunteers to coordinate the use, maintenance of the music library, musical instruments and facilities.
6. Work with the Head of Staff and Worship Ministry Team Elder on staffing and budgeting
7. Responsible for adult bell and tone chime choirs including coordinating them in worship services.
8. Support wedding and memorial services in scheduling musicians and vocalists, as required
9. Work with the Head of Staff and Director of Music-Contemporary to coordinate music activities
10. Support the care and spiritual nature of Choir members and musicians
11. Direct and produce community outreach concerts featuring great music of the faith and classical choral works
12. Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Requirements include the ability to use a computer and other office equipment, lift up to fifteen pounds, be able to sit and stand/walk to participate in meetings and presentations, and the physicl dexterity to provide musical direction
Minimum 3 years experience directing a similarly situated Chancel Choir.
Bachelor of Arts degree with a music major or minor preferred
Demonstrated ability to direct and develop Chancel Choir
Demonstrated ability to lead, coordinate and serve as a resource person to the music and arts program of the church
Ability to play a musical instrument preferred
Training and experience in the field of Christian music and the arts with a Christian emphasis
Experience leading staff
"In addition to possessing the necessry gifts and abilities, natural and acquired, the one in this position should be a person of strong faith, dedicated discipleship, and love of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. His/Her manner of life should be a demonstration of the Christian gospel in the church and in the world." Book of Order G-6.0106a
"The person in this position will lead a life of obedience to Scripture and in conformity to the historic confessional standards of the church. Among these standards is the requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman, or chastity in singleness." Book of Order G-6.0106b
Interested candidates should submit a resume to the attention of Human Resources at HR@gspc.org or to Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church, 11600 Los Alamitos Bl, Los Alamitos, CA 90720.