This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Sunset Avenue Church of God
Asheboro, North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 05/18/2009
Categories: Worship Pastor
Denominations: Church of God -- Cleveland
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
Sunset Avenue Church of God – Asheboro, North Carolina
The Music Pastor will support the Senior Pastor, other Ministry Staff, lay leadership and volunteers of Sunset Avenue Church of God (SACOG) to fulfill its mission to:
Declare…..the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Discover…the truths of Scripture and their application for everyday living.
Develop….mature disciples in pursuit of Christ-likeness.
Deploy…..disciples into active ministry in the home, the church, the community and the world.
Delight….in the Lord, knowing that our deepest pleasure is found in a lifestyle of worship.
To accomplish these goals, the Music Pastor will lead the Music and Worship Ministries of SACOG. It is understood that we were created to worship God, and although music may enhance worship, worship encompasses much more than music.
SACOG is a Spirit-filled, Pentecostal fellowship consisting of many diverse backgrounds. We utilize a live band and choir during services and we embrace many styles of music. Diversity is essential to who we are, and as such our musical worship is and will continue to be blended. We are blessed to have extremely talented musicians, vocalists and technical support persons in place.
We have been called to be a discipling center, and it is imperative that we have a strong, spiritual Music Pastor who supports the overall vision and goals of SACOG and strives to use the “5 D’s” as the standard for measuring the success of the ministry. He/she must relate to the needs of those in music ministry, reassure a Christ centered life and represent a model for them to follow. The Music Pastor will be an excellent team leader with the ability to effectively communicate with music ministry participants, team leaders, and staff, both orally and in writing.
The following description is meant to be a guideline whereby the Music Pastor can understand the expectations placed upon him.
1. Has been baptized with the Holy Ghost with the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues, and remains Spirit filled. Has an established prayer life and Bible study habits, and has a heart for God and musicians
2. Must meet Biblical qualifications for church leadership (I Timothy 3 and Titus 1) and support the Doctrines of the Church of God as outlined in the Statement of Faith, as well as the Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, and the Polices and Procedures Manual of the Sunset Avenue Church of God. (Information about the Church of God denomination is available at www.churchofgod.org. Information about Sunset Avenue is available at www.sunsetavenue.org)
3. The Music Pastor must have the ability and discernment to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit and not be bound to agenda and order of service. He/she must continue to build and develop musicians so that they will be able to follow during such times.
4. Should have a Degree in Music or related field of study, or equivalent experience. 3-5 years experience in a setting of at least 30 musicians and choir members (combined) and overall church size of at least 500 is preferable, with or without a degree.
5. Must have the ability to lead and direct a choir and band as well as oversee the production of theatrical enhancements such as video or live drama. Must be able to produce chord charts, transpose music, teach music including vocal harmony and should have the ability to write new music or provide original arrangements of existing music
6. Must be an accomplished musician who is proficient in the use of at least one lead instrument, preferably the keyboard
7. Must exemplify the lifestyle of a worshipper, loyal, servant-hearted, faithful, available, teachable, persevering, positive outlook
8. People person, works well in a team setting and is a team builder, able to lead choir and band rehearsals, visionary, energetic in guiding others to a deeper faith in Jesus Christ, passionate about bringing musicians and the congregation into authentic worship realizing that worship is much more than music.
9. Organizational- maintains organization in planning, budgeting, time, and resources
10. Must be able to communicate effectively and compassionately both orally and in writing with musicians, technical teams, staff, and other adults
11. Experience with, but not limited to, all Microsoft Office applications as well as presentation hardware and software. The ability to produce and provide oversight for the production of quality graphics and media presentations is essential. Experience with current audio-visual technology is preferred. Also, a working knowledge of sound and camera equipment is needed.
12. Must have a clean criminal and driving record (excluding minor traffic violations) and be prepared to authorize release of information for background and criminal records checks prior to being hired. Use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or any acts or practices of moral turpitude are inconsistent with SACOG’s Statement of Faith, By-laws, and Policies and Procedures Manual and would therefore be grounds for rejection of any candidate or termination of any employee
The Music Pastor will be responsible for the spiritual growth, development and well-being of choir and band members as well as technical teams. Additionally, the Music Pastor is responsible for all ministries involving music and “worship arts.” This will include leading the Adult Choir and Band, oversight of the Youth Band, oversight of technology to include sound, lighting and video production, assisting with or directing dramatic productions, assisting Children’s Ministries staff as needed with children’s choirs and dramatic productions, and planning special events. As a member of the pastoral staff, the Music Pastor will report directly to the Ministry Director. Additionally, the Music Pastor will contribute to the establishment of strategy, philosophy, and direction of the church. The Music Pastor will establish and maintain Policies and Procedures concerning the operation of Music Ministries to include appropriately communicating direction and the mentoring of volunteer Music Ministry leaders.
A detailed listing of specific responsibilities will be provided upon request.
Pastoral and Administrative Responsibilities
1. Assist the Senior Pastor in pastoral duties as needed and/or requested
2. Regularly attend all staff meetings as required. Report on ministry activities
3. Manage all administrative functions for music ministry including long-range planning and budgeting
4. Submit pastoral and financial reports and records in a timely manner
5. Oversee the scheduling and functions of the technology ministry
6. Remain professionally current in one’s area of leadership and ministry. This includes reading, studying, consulting, training, seminars and conferences. Pastoral and personal growth will be a priority, retreating occasionally for spiritual renewal and refreshment, reading and planning, Bible study, prayer and fasting
Salary and other compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. A detailed
compensation package will be furnished for consideration at the time of final interview.
This will be a full-time position with a flexible work week, often in excess of 40 hours. Consideration may be given for a candidate who desires to work in a part-time capacity.
Our desire is to fill this position as soon as possible and we will continue reviewing candidates until the right person is identified. Interested and qualified individuals should submit their resume (postmarked by July 1, 2009) and must include a family photo and salary history.
Sunset Avenue Church of God
Attn: Michael Stoltzfus, Ministry Director
900 Sunset Avenue, PO Box 938
Asheboro, NC 27204
The position described was prepared to represent the general requirements of the position and may be subject to change based on the needs of the Church. SACOG’s Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, and Policies and Procedures Manual govern all terms and conditions of employment.