This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Youth and Christian Education
Harrodsburg Christian Church
Harrodsburg, Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 05/14/2009
Categories: Youth Pastor
Denominations: Christian Church
Church Size: 151 to 250
Job Type: Full-Time
Harrodsburg Christian Church DIrector of Youth and Christian Education
305 South Main
The Director of Youth and Christian Education may or may not be an ordained minister, but must hold an undergraduate degree. He/she must be of good character and possess strong Christian beliefs. He/she must resonate with and be willing to adhere to the polity and beliefs of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The Director of Youth and Christian Education must enjoy the company of youth and families and have the maturity to address the issues related to the development of faith in the youth of the church. He/she is expected to attend and be involved in HCC services and activities on a regular basis.
The Director of Youth and Christian Education is responsible for planning, conducting, and regularly evaluating a comprehensive education program for pre-k (nursery) through high school. The Director of Youth and Christian Education will personally lead the youth ministry program for the middle school and high school youth while participating in other educational and evangelical opportunities which promote professional development.
This position is full-time and requires a minimum of 40 hours per week. Due to the responsibilities involved, this is not to be a typical 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. job but involves flexible hours (i.e., when children and families are available). The Director of Youth and Christian Education must be able to walk, run, lift, carry and tolerate strenuous physical exercise. The Director of Youth and Christian Education will establish certain days off as coordinated through the senior minister. The Director of Youth and Christian Education is under the daily supervision of the senior minister and will be responsible to the Personnel Committee and the Executive and General Boards. The Youth Director is provided a Pastoral Relations Committee and is expected to meet with the committee regularly.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Get to know and establish a positive relationship with each young person in the congregation, making home and school visitations in this process
2. Lead the church in planning, conducting, and regularly evaluating a comprehensive Sunday school program for pre-k (nursery) through high school (Administration + Education + Activities + Fun = Good Youth Ministry)
3. Serve as the primary facilitator of programming and recruiter of adult volunteers for the youth program involving youth grades 6 – 12. This person will lead only the high school and middle school youth groups but will be in charge of all Christian education (pre-k through high school).
4. Develop a relational ministry with youth and their parents to assist the youth in making basic discoveries, cultivating appropriate faith development, formulating intelligent plans for the future, and growing in the understanding and acceptance of self
5. Design effective programs and activities where youth can use their abilities, talents, and spiritual gifts to minister to others in service to the Lord
6. Actively integrate the youth into all activities of church life at HCC envisioning them to serve here, now, and in the future
7. Develop regular opportunities for youth participation and growth in the Sunday worship services (i.e., Youth Sundays every month in which there is a 5th Sunday and pre- and post-mission trips)
8. Coordinate the registration for the summer camp program of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Kentucky and regularly participate as a counselor or director of at least one camp per summer
9. Coordinate youth participation in regional programming and provide leadership in regional programming when possible
10. Demonstrate a willingness to participate in the larger life of the church and work closely with all other members of the church staff, effectively uniting with and complementing other church ministries
11. Actively seek opportunities to serve and collaborate with community efforts
12. Help with Vacation Bible School
13. Keep in contact with college youth and plan activities/trips when possible
14. Plan and oversee an annual, week-long mission trip for the high school youth
15. Plan and oversee an annual middle school mission trip
16. Complete tasks and other duties which may arise as assigned by the senior minister