Job Announcement: Director of Contemporary Worship
Buncombe Street United Methodist Church is located in downtown Greenville, SC. Since our beginnings in 1834, we have remained committed to scriptural holiness. Through an offering of wonderful programs of mission and outreach we work to spread the Good News
of Jesus Christ.
The full-time Director of Contemporary Worship is responsible for coordinating and co-planning all contemporary worship services in a spiritual and organized way under the direction and vision of the Associate Minister. The Director of Contemporary Worship
will ensure services are led in a way that the congregation has an opportunity to engage in worship, experience the presence of the Holy Spirit, and witness the power of Jesus Christ.
Position Responsibilities – Essential
- Facilitate an inspiring and organized presentation of the themes, music and visuals of the services.
- Engage the full scope of attendants, including all ages and both visitors and members in participation in worship.
- Coordinate musicians who demonstrate cohesiveness and are excited, dedicated, and prepared to lead worship each week within budget limits as set by the Associate Minister and Contemporary Worship Committee.
- Work in cooperation with other staff members, and seek opportunities to connect with other areas of ministry.
- Carry out all required tasks with a servant heart as directed.
- Prepare and oversee worship in all Buncombe Street UMC contemporary worship service times and locations.
- Equip musicians with the proper tools to present an effective worship service.
- Work with and oversee the stage manager position to ensure a smooth worshipful experience in all services.
- Brainstorm set design for all worship experiences.
- Meet weekly with Associate Minister to discuss ideas for scripture, themes, and media for each service.
- Prayerfully select songs, liturgy, etc. to be led for upcoming services.
- Prepare and lead weekly band rehearsals for all contemporary services.
- Ensure the preparation of the weekly Pro-Presenter presentations.
- Work with Contemporary Worship Committee to create an effective worship service.
- Administer and plan communications with staff and volunteers for weekly worship services through Planning Center OnLine.
- Communicate weekly bulletin information with marketing company.
- Attend all required meetings.
- Manage contemporary worship budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Associate Minister.
- Initiate and attend gatherings with volunteers for band, vocalists, tech and administrative positions to encourage relationship building.
- Prepare and lead teachings and/or Bible studies for gatherings of the worship team.
- Build personal relationships in the church with the congregation, band members, staff, and visitors.
- Work to develop external mission/outreach opportunities through music.
- Develop written short-term and long-term goals for contemporary worship.
- Recruit and audition musicians as needed.
- Explore, study, and maintain a familiarity of contemporary worship and music trends.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities.
- Participate and lead in seasonal services and special events such as Christmas Eve, Holy Week, etc.
- Encourage congregational involvement in worship.
- Demonstrate an active involvement with Youth music.
Position Responsibilities – Non-Essential/Other
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Music or worship-related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience leading worship services, vocalists, and instrumentalists.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships within the church, especially with worship team and staff members.
- Knowledge of the United Methodist doctrine preferred.
- Ability to maintain high energy.
- Ability to use judgment and discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating multiple, simultaneous, large-scale volunteer initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge and use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Professional demeanor, team-oriented, positive and engaging attitude.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed with strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills (recordkeeping, time management, follow-up, etc.
- Excellent attention to detail and sense of urgency, with an emphasis on quality and accuracy of work.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize, and deal with interruptions while meeting timely deadlines.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to tactfully handle stressful and difficult situations.
- Strong ethical standards: ability to create trust and integrity with co-workers and community.
- Personal attributes that include reliability, professionalism, and the ability to work independently.
- Regular and sustained attendance.
Please send a resume and cover letter by May 12, 2017 to:
Director of Contemporary Worship
Care of Christopher A. Malaska
Visit our website: www.bsumc.com