Canterbury United Methodist Church (www.canterburyumc.org), is a large, theologically diverse congregation in the flourishing community of Mountain Brook in Birmingham, Alabama. The church has a long history of strong children’s ministry. After the retirement
of a multi-decade children’s ministry director 2 years ago, the children’s ministry - though still quite robust - has been in a leadership transition, with the most recent director leaving her position in April 2017.
Canterbury is seeking a full-time Director of Children’s Ministry to lead its children’s ministry team. The position will provide innovative, executive leadership over the development and implementation of all aspects of children’s ministry
programming, serving children from birth through sixth grade, as well as their families, including
- Providing Leadership: The DCM will be the “face” of children’s ministry for Canterbury, providing strategic and engaging leadership for staff, volunteers, parents, and children.
- Equipping Families and Volunteers: The DCM will recruit, equip, and build teams of children's ministry leaders and develop initiatives that equip parents in the Christian nurture of their children.
- Cultivating Young Disciples: The DCM will establish, update, and oversee creative programming that encourages each child to choose to become a lifelong disciple of Christ.
- Connection and Relationships: The DCM will provide opportunities for children to develop nurturing relationships with other children with a broad constellation of volunteer leaders and church staff.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Experience in a program for children (ministerial or educational), preferably in a large church or similar organization.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement, and measure the results of ministry programs and events.
- Passion for developing programming that facilitates the faith development of children and families.
- Willingness to lead with a professional and positive team spirit that equips and supports staff and volunteers.
- A professing Christian in agreement with Canterbury UMC’s mission, strategy, core values, and beliefs.
- United Methodist background and experience preferred.
For more detailed information and to submit a resume, please contact email@example.com.