Heritage Fellowship Church
Senior Pastor Job Description
Heritage Fellowship Church
Reston, VA, United States
Position: Full-Time Senior Pastor
Date Posted: 03/15/2017
Closing Date: 04/30/2017
Church Size: 1500
Education: M. Div., or equivalent required
Pastoral Experience: 5 years minimum
"And moreover, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yes, he pondered and sought out and set in order many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find acceptable words; and what was written was upright—words of truth."
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Pastor of Heritage Fellowship Church (HFC) must have passion and an excitement for the Lord. Prayer must be an essential focus for this individual, along with a dependence on the Holy Spirit to guide and direct the ministry of HFC. This individual's
daily life must also reflect the joy of the Lord.
The Senior Pastor of HFC must possess a love for people and have a heart to disciple each member of the church. The ideal candidate for the position must possess the ability to help the body of believers in the church grow both deeper and wider in the knowledge
of the Lord, while shepherding them to share Jesus and reach the many lost and unsaved in the community. This individual must be biblically knowledgeable and able to preach/teach thoughtful and prayerful messages that are anointed by God. In essence, our next
Senior Pastor's spiritual walk with the Lord must be authentically genuine. In addition, this individual must lead by example. A humble spirit and a willingness to work together with other leaders in the local body are also necessary characteristics.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Senior Pastor of HFC must:
- Be called by God and set apart for the gospel ministry to preach and teach the word of God without compromise.
- Be an effective communicator, gifted in exegetical preaching and teaching that inspires and challenges and is applicable to everyday life.
- Be honest and trustworthy, successful in leading, and renewing and carrying out the vision of the church.
- Have a deep and ever-growing knowledge and love of Scripture.
- Find great joy in worshipping God through Jesus Christ and leading all aspects of worship.
- Be given to prayer, leading, modeling and advancing a culture of prayer.
- Have a heart to help the lost and to guide them to Christ.
- Be outgoing and a people-oriented person who has a deep and personal caring for people and a relationship builder with the congregation.
- Be passionate about connecting with the adults, young adults and young families, students and children both in and outside the walls of the church, while maintaining a respect for the history, heritage, and traditions of both the church and the community.
- Be Spirit-led, faith-filled, and visionary about God’s plan and will for the church.
- Be in full agreement with HFC's Core Beliefs and Core Values.
- Live a life consistent with biblical standard for a pastor (1 Timothy 3:1-7;Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Be able to work harmoniously and effectively with the officers and leaders of the church
- Possess interpersonal skills that draw people to this ministry.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Masters of Divinity or an equivalent from an accredited seminary or Bible college, required.
- Doctorate Degree in Theology, preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience preferably serving as a Senior Pastor at a church of similar or larger size, with a proven record of growing a ministry and successfully working in a ministry setting.