LEADERSHIP POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Discipleship Pastor (Hope Ankeny)
Reports To: Hope Ankeny Campus Pastor
Date Prepared/Revised: April 1, 2017
The Discipleship Pastor is responsible for implementing the ministry vision for the discipleship of Children, Students and Adults at Lutheran Church of Hope Ankeny, a satellite congregation under the mission, vision, values, and authority structure of Lutheran
Church of Hope.
- Providing overall ministry leadership of Hope Ankeny discipleship ministry in conjunction with the Campus Pastor and the staff or team leaders in Children’s, Student and Adult and Mission ministry teams.
- Coaching and oversight of all Children’s, Student, Adult and Mission ministry staff and volunteer leadership at Hope Ankeny.
- Developing, maintaining, and overseeing Hope Ankeny discipleship strategies in coordination with Campus Pastor, Hope Ankeny Children, Student and Adult Ministry team leaders, Leadership Team, and WDM ministry directors.
- Presence at Hope Ankeny worship services and primary events.
- Occasional live preaching at Hope Ankeny.
- Teaching at Alpha and other Adult Ministry classes as needed
- Teaching at PowerLife (Hope’s confirmation program) and Ignition (Hope’s High School Ministry)
- General pastoral responsibilities for Lutheran Church of Hope including Pastoral Counseling, Care, Weddings and Funerals
In coordination with the Campus Pastor and within with the primary mission, vision, and values of Lutheran Church of Hope and its primary visions for the following ministry areas, the Discipleship Pastor will be responsible for:
- Continuing to develop and implement a primary vision for adult discipleship at Hope Ankeny in coordination with Lutheran Church of Hope Adult Ministry vision and strategies
- Coaching and oversight of Hope Ankeny Adult Ministry staff and/or volunteers
- Teaching (including Alpha, Pastor’s Bible Study and other adult discipleship classes)
- Continuing to develop Hope Ankeny Student Ministry program in conjunction with Hope strategies
- Coaching and oversight of Hope Ankeny PowerLife (Middle School/Confirmation Ministry) and Ignition (High School Ministry) staff and volunteers
- Continuing to develop and implement a vision for Hope Ankeny Nursery and Children’s Ministry in conjunction with Hope strategies
- Building, equipping and empowering the Hope Ankeny Children’s Ministry team.
- Coaching and oversight of Hope Ankeny Nursery team leader and Children’s Ministry staff
- Continuing to develop and implement a vision for Hope Ankeny Global and Local mission in conjunction with Hope strategies
- Building, equipping and empowering the mission team leaders and volunteers
- Adhere to Lutheran Church of Hope Staff Covenant for spiritual, personal and professional relationships and behavior.
- Maintain a vital and growing personal walk with the Lord through committed Bible study, prayer and personal learning.
- Adhere to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ECLA) document for Vision and Expectations of clergy (whether rostered ELCA clergy or not)
Personal Performance Criteria
- Strives to live a Christ-centered life, stemming from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Works well with others, maintaining positive and effective relationships and communication with church staff and ministries, volunteers, church members, and guests
- Contributes to creating a positive work environment
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity; respects confidentiality
- Arrives on time and works consistently until the end of the scheduled workday/project
- Takes advantage of professional growth opportunities related to his/her job
- Works independently and with confidence
- Demonstrates ability to grasp and adjust to new and changing situations
- Demonstrates initiative and ability to work without close supervision
- Adheres to safety rules
Skills, Education and Experience Required
- Possess Christ-centered, joy-filled passion for ministry which flows from a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- MDiv or working toward MDiv
- Ability to interpret and to confidently and effectively articulate Biblical foundations and Lutheran theology in preaching, teaching, and counseling
- Proven ability to lead and inspire a transformational theology without falling into the ditch of works righteousness
- Proven ability to “Equip the saints for the work of ministry” (Eph. 4:12) and a firm grasp of the concept of the priesthood of all believers.
- Extremely strong organizational skills for administration and leadership of team-based ministry
- Ability to supervise, inspire, and equip both staff and volunteers in a wide variety of ministry areas
- Ability to prioritize and boundary ministry with personal and family life
- Ability to lead, coordinate and manage multiple tasks
- Commitment to always reflect in the best possible light Lutheran Church of Hope, its staff, and the mission, vision, and values of its Constitution, the Southeast Iowa Synod, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
- Willingness to work with, reflect in the best possible light, and to serve as a positive resource for all congregations of the ELCA and other local congregations of other denominations.
Hope Ankeny Campus Pastor
Pay and Benefits:
In alignment with the “Church Compensation Survey” and depending on experience and education.
Relationship to ELCA:
For non-rostered ELCA candidates – Openness to pursuing ELCA rostering within 2-3 years of employment is preferred based on the needs of Lutheran Church of Hope’s relationship with the Southeast Iowa Synod of the ELCA.