ASSISTANT ORGANIST Position Description
Start Date: September 1, 2017
FLSA Category: Exempt
Hours: 8-10 hours /week
Work Status: Part-time Occasional
Function: Support Worship Ministry
PURPOSE: The Assistant Organist serves as a collaborative member of the Worship Team in the development and offering of outstanding worship services and special music events aimed at engaging people in exalting God. The primary responsibility
is to provide organ music for worship services, concert events and other church functions as needed.
POSITION FOCUS: Worship Ministry
Part-Time: maximum of 8-10 hours per week on-site (may vary throughout the month and liturgical year)
Hours: As needed and assigned monthly or quarterly
Reports to: Noelle Combs, Classic Worship Director
Partners with: Devon Hollingsworth, Master Organist
- Consult with the Classic Worship Director and Master Organist regarding solo organ music selections and liturgical accompaniments for Worship services and concert events.
- Provide appropriate musical support in a substitute capacity for weddings, funeral/memorial services, and other special events as requested, needed or assigned.
- Rehearse on-site weekly in partnership with the Master Organist to acquire and refine technical knowledge required to expertly play our Sanctuary 80 ranks Austin/40 ranks Allen instrument.
- Play one Sunday per month (as assigned) in two Sunday morning Classic (traditional) Worship services. Observe at least one additional Sunday morning per month.
- Play one Sunday per month (as assigned) in one Sunday evening Classic Communion Worship service.
- Maintain professional relationships with other church musicians (staff and volunteer).
- High commitment to communication and partnership with Music Staff and Worship Team.
- Passion for worship in the Protestant traditional expression.
- Compassionate and friendly approach to members of the public and congregation.
- Exceptional attention to detail, punctuality, reliability and responsibility.
Skills and Talents
- Exceptional skills and experience playing a pipe organ; display excellence, sensitivity and proficiency in utilizing the full capabilities of a pipe organ.
- Display knowledge of wide variety of appropriate classical and/or sacred organ solo repertoire, with the desire and capacity to become familiar with a larger library of repertoire, as recommended by the Master Organist.
- Demonstrate proficiency as a pianist and piano accompanist.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in music (emphasis in either organ/sacred music/piano).
- Experience working within a church and/or liturgical educational setting.
- Current repertoire list is a plus.
- Two professional references (at least one must be a church and/or music professional).
- Salary commensurate with experience; to be discussed during selection process.
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@CC-OB.ORG
Due to the volume of inquiries and applications, we are not able to respond to every application or resume we receive. We will be in contact with you if we are interested in pursuing your application of employment. Thank you for your understanding.
Please, no phone calls.