Mission: An outreach ministry of Horizon Christian Fellowship North County, Horizon Prep’s mission is to educate the whole student within a Christian context of spiritual, social, mental, and
physical development. As an extension of the ministry of the Church, we exist to help students cultivate a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, to discover and encourage their gifts, and to inspire each student to realize his or her full potential in
serving God in spirit and in truth.
Vision: To prepare a generation of spiritually mature, academically advanced, physically equipped, and socially developed individuals for a life of opportunity and service to the glory of God.
Educational Philosophy: Horizon Prep holds to a Christ-centered classical philosophy of education and teaching methodology as defined in Douglas Wilson's book,
Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning. This approach to education is inherently different from many contemporary school models that hold to non-Biblical, humanistic philosophies and that teach to prepare students for a career in the workplace rather
than educate them to be thinkers and to fulfill their life purpose. The Classical model has provided an exemplary standard of teaching for more than 1500 years. It is a time-tested methodology that capitalizes on the stages in a child's development - the way
God created us - to help students realize their full potential. The three stages comprise what is known as the Trivium and can be compared to the Biblical terms knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. At all levels, programs and teachings, HP seeks to:
- Teach all subjects as parts of an integrated whole with the Scriptures at the center
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Provide a clear model of Biblical Christian life through staff and leadership (Matthew 22:37-40)
- Encourage every child in the development and maintaining of his/her relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Create an environment students enjoy. Students that want to be at school are motivated and therefore put forth more effort.
- Encourage every student to develop a love for learning and to achieve his/her academic potential. Students that love to learn become masters of whatever they put their minds to.
- Foster a supportive environment. When students feel loved, they feel safe. When they feel safe, they are motivated to put forth more effort and therefore achieve more.
- Hire the most qualified teachers (credentialed and highly educated), who also possess the gift of teaching. The only thing that can guarantee a student's success is the effectiveness of the teacher. You can have the best curriculum, technology and resources,
but if you do not have the best teacher implementing them, the student will not benefit.
- Teach to the highest child - raise the bar - for every student. Students rise to the level that is set before them, behaviorally and academically.
- Implement current best instructional practices based on research and Biblical principles.
- Provide an orderly and disciplined atmosphere conducive to the attaining of these goals.
Horizon Prep: Located in Rancho Santa Fe, California, a suburban area of San Diego County. HP provides a preschool thru grade 12 rigorous academic and whole-person educational program that is
fully accredited with ACSI, WASC, CIF and NCAA. Founded in 2000 at the church facility with an enrollment of 38 preschool students, the school now serves 500 plus students has grown to include a 20-acre campus adjacent to the 10-acre church campus.
Position Summary: The Head of Schools serves to provide operational leadership and oversight:
- For the ministerial and educational (academic and whole-person development),
experience of students in HP’s Early Education program and the Schools of Grammar, Logic and Rhetoric.
- For the organizational, human resource, business, development and entrepreneurial aspects of Horizon Prep’s advancement.
- For the enrollment and development growth of the school.
- To inspire the Horizon Prep academic community with the mission and desired mission outcomes of an HP education in the lives of students,
- To foster the ongoing development of HP’s mission-centered strategic vision and plan for the development of Horizon Prep and its programs, and
- To ensure the implementation of programs and the nurturing of a campus culture necessary to achieve Horizon Prep’s mission and vision.
- Reports to the Senior Pastor of Horizon Christian Fellowship, President/CEO of Horizon Prep.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Education/Educational Leadership or equivalent; Doctorate Preferred
- Degree in Education, Business or similar function preferred.
- A minimum of 7-10 years school administration preferred.
- Prior teaching experience.
- Prior budget and P & L responsibility preferred.
- Broad knowledge of educational administration, curriculum, instruction and student development theory and programing.
- Understanding of financial accountability, budgeting and reporting.
- Conversant and supportive of the Classical Christian Education model.
- Professional Certifications:
- Credential Administrator with WASC/ACSI required (or equivalent and able to obtain).
Dedicated and mature Evangelical Christian of good character and reputation. Firm commitment to the mission of Horizon Christian Fellowship, Horizon Prep, the Staff Handbook, and the ministry’s Statement of Faith.