Director of Family Life—Student Ministry / Youth Ministry
Good Shepherd Church is passionate about people and passionate about helping them be transformed in how they love and serve God.
Our student ministries team is an integral part of our staff on mission to “reach and transform spiritually distracted people so we all love and serve God.” We currently have the following full-time opportunity to round out our student ministry’s team of
The Director of Family Life—Student Ministry serves as part of the senior leadership team of the church. Key purpose is to develop a staff and volunteer team that collaborates to create relevant study, worship, service, fellowship, and discipleship
experiences that engage middle school and high school aged students and their families to grow their relationship with Jesus Christ and to reach others.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in education, biblical studies, ministry, leadership, social work or related field and four to six years’ relevant experience preferably in a church or not for profit setting. Ability to maintain certification in mental
health first aid is desired.
Additional requirements: Ability to pass pre-employment background screening and drug testing.
Good Shepherd is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Please send COVER LETTER AND RESUME describing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org as early as possible. Please include a link to a
TEACHING SAMPLE if available. Please do not contact the employer directly.
Director of Family Life—Student Ministry sample responsibilities:
- Partners with church leadership in developing and managing the overall strategy of student ministry as it relates to the mission, vision, and core values of the church.
- Provides opportunities for junior high and senior high students to grow as disciples in Christ as they study, serve, worship, pray, and share their faith with others
- Collaborates with others including Good Shepherd Directors, Pastors, and community leaders in order to create a strategy for families to bring Christ into the home beyond Sundays.
- Attends conferences and other learning and networking opportunities in order to stay current and to keep creative in meeting the needs of the student population both within the church membership and in the community.
- Prepares and delivers messages and lesson plans as part of the teaching team for student ministries.
- Recruits, trains, mentors, appreciates and equips leaders for student ministry programs, retreats, mission trips and service projects.
- Hires, trains, and mentors assigned staff.
- Leads and coordinates the communication strategy for student ministries to include text, mail, web, email, and other social media.
- Connects individually with students and families building relationships and providing resources for healthy relationships and growing faith in Jesus Christ.
- Prepares and oversees ministry budget approving purchases and ensuring good stewardship in spending.
- Leads and attends various meetings including Director’s meetings, staff meetings, leadership development opportunities,
Knowledge, skills and abilities: In addition to a personal, passionate pursuit of knowing, loving, and serving the triune God as demonstrated in your faith journey…..
- Knowledge of scripture and an understanding and commitment to the mission and core values of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
- Knowledge of the current practices and trends in student and youth ministries
- Knowledge of adolescent development and family systems
- Knowledge of biblical texts
- Skill in recruiting, leading, and developing teams
- Skill in teaching and preaching biblical principles
- Skill in creating and managing a budget
- Ability to engage and connect with students and families
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with students, families, and staff
- Ability to identify resources and refer individuals for counseling and other resources as necessary
- Ability to commit to worship and serve with the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church community.