St. John Lutheran Church (SJLC), Linthicum, Maryland, is seeking a Contemporary Worship Leader/Director to join our dynamic team as soon as possible. This is a Part-Time (12-15 hours per week) salaried position.
SJLC, a robust established church nearing our 100th anniversary, has delivered highly successful Contemporary Worship Services for two decades and desires to embrace a gifted musical leader who will lead Spirit-filled worship to ensure we continue
to reach a world in need!
The primary responsibility of the Worship Leader/Director will be to plan, coordinate, and lead weekly contemporary worship services as well as innovative services during special times of the year (i.e., Christmas Eve; Lent; etc.) that enable us to live our
mission to go into the world “Led by Christ…..sharing love…..serving all.” The selectee plays a key role enhancing the worship, spiritual formation, and congregational life of SJLC to achieve this mission!
Worship Leadership and Administration
- Collaborate with Pastors, volunteers, Music Director, and Worship and Music Committee to plan and deliver weekly worship and special services, with emphasis on creative presentation of Lutheran doctrine.
- Select and organize all music and other components for Contemporary and periodic Blended services.
- Serve as staff liaison for the Worship and Music Committee.
- Attend and actively contribute in staff meetings and strategic planning activities.
- Direct and lead Contemporary Band rehearsals.
- Maintain and ensure copyrights are up to date.
- Oversee band equipment.
- Develop and submit an annual worship/music budget.
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise, shepherd, and increase the number of Contemporary Worship ministry participants.
- Implement a vision that encompasses ways for Contemporary Worship Ministry to grow and engage the community.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church so as to grow the whole church.
- Develop strong musical ministry and support team(s).
- Lead musical skill development, community building, and spiritual growth.
- Disciple and encourage participation on a wide scale.
- Direct outreach events in the community.
- Plan, coordinate, and provide leadership for Contemporary Worship Ministry opportunities.
- Authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and a passion to glorify God with music ministry.
- Possesses a heart for worship and music, both personally, and in leading others.
- Has a reflected theology consistent with our Lutheran heritage.
- Bachelor’s Degree in music, ministry, or related field.
- Willingness to commit to SJLC vision and mission.
- Highly collaborative and strong “team player”.
- Possesses exceptional planning and communication skills.
- Demonstrates excellent relational and leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable of Contemporary Christian music and open to continuous learning and exploration of new music.
- Plays keyboard and/or guitar.
- Able to read music and direct musicians and vocalists.
- Able to learn music from a recording and create chord sheets as necessary.
- Thorough knowledge of music theory as it relates to chord progression, etc.
- Basic knowledge of sound equipment (i.e., how to use a mixer, etc.).
- Ability to lead the congregation in worship and train others in worship leadership.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office applications and other related technical and multi-media programs required for contemporary worship.
- Experience leading and participating in contemporary praise/worship bands and choirs.
- Experience with technical aspects of worship (i.e., sound boards, multi-media, etc.).
- Salary is negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Benefits are not authorized.
Resumes should be submitted to email@example.com with cover sheet and references.
Canidiates will be contacted for an interview and audition/rehearsal with the band.