Operations Director Profile
The Operations Director is called to support and facilitate the mission of First Free by leading all of the office, human resources, information technology, risk management, financial, and facilities operations at the church.
- An individual of established Christian character, sound in faith and doctrine; qualified to be a deacon (1 Tim. 3:8-13; cf. Acts 6:3).
- Is currently active in making disciples in their local church.
- Experience and ability leading projects and developing support staff.
- Proven track record of collaborating with others to lead change.
- Able to problem solve and develop strategies that add value to the church’s operations.
- A self-starter, internally motivated to “get stuff done.”
- Sufficient competence with technology (computers, software, copy machines, etc.) to ensure our staff has good technological support.
- Accounting degree and/or experience with finance that is sufficient to lead financial operations.
- Experience, skill, and/or talent sufficient to manage facilities operations.
- Complements our current leadership team (Lead Pastor, Executive Pastor, and Senior Associate Pastor) in temperament, strengths, and gifting.
- Must be(come) a member of First Free and therefore have beliefs consistent with the requirements for membership.
- Must be in complete agreement with First Free’s philosophy of ministry as articulated in our Ministry Map documents.
- Develop and implement policies and manuals to support the operations of the church.
- Lead projects that support the operations of the church.
- Report to and collaborate with Executive Pastor
Office and Human Resources
- Ensure the office culture is helping First Free to be a warm and hospitable place.
- Ensure our staff has adequate and efficient technological support to fulfill their responsibilities (computers, printers, phones, resource room technologies, etc.)
- Assist ministry staff in evaluating staffing needs, hiring and assimilation of new staff, performance reviews, and exit interviews.
- Manage all employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement, etc. helping to maximize the benefit to our staff and minimize the cost to the church.
- Ensure our building is hospitable and able to accommodate the advancement of our mission.
- Facilitate maintenance and repairs of all church property and facilities, in collaboration with Facilities Manager and trustees.
- Supervise and develop Facilities Manager and Lead Custodial Staff. Provide annual review for Facilities Manager. Oversee annual reviews of all custodial staff.
- Oversee facility usage and calendar, ensuring our facility is being used to show hospitality to our community and advance our mission as a church.
- Oversee all building projects. Collaborate with staff, elders, trustees, and contract employees to determine long term building needs and to lead all building initiatives.
- Supervise, develop, and provide annual review for Bookkeeper.
- Develop annual budget in collaboration with staff, elders, and trustees that is financially responsible and helps First Free advance its mission.
- Manage annual budget throughout the year to ensure faithfulness to its intention while being flexible and creative with unplanned expenses and opportunities to help First Free advance its mission.
- Ensure in collaboration with the staff, elders, and trustees that the congregation is well informed of the financial needs and opportunities of the church.
- Ensure we have good tools, services, and systems to support our finances (e.g. banking, software).
- Ensure we’re operating legally.
- Develop and implement crisis/risk management plans and procedures.