Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries
Grace Evangelical Free Church
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries will serve as a valued member of the Grace Staff Team and specifically of the Children’s and Parenting Ministries Team of the Church. In this capacity, the Director will foster physical, emotional, and
spiritual growth and development primarily in the hearts and lives of the children and their parents. The Director will purpose to glorify God by
“making disciples by reaching and teaching all people with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.”
The Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries will be the advocate for the various generations of the church and will oversee the structures and atmosphere of the church to ensure that the family of God is working together to make disciples of the
next generation. The Director is first an advocate for children because these are the people who are least knowledgeable and least experienced in the Christian life. The Director is next an advocate for the parent of these children because they are in the
greatest position to influence the young. Thirdly, the Director is concerned for other mature adults because they have an important role in the discipleship and mentoring of parents and children alike. In all these roles, fulfilling the Great Commission will
be primarily in view.
- Full-Time, Senior Staff
- Reports to: Senior Pastor
PROFILE OF PREFERENCE
The Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries shall possess the following characteristics:
- Spiritual Maturity. A born-again relationship with God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ that evidences the fruit of the Spirit in daily living.
- Love for the Local Church. A commitment to relate to the Church as the Body and Bride of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Love for Children. A desire to spend time befriending and discipling children, and the ability to relate to and communicate with children of different ages.
- Loyalty. Without any hint of subservience, there must exist a genuine spirit of personal loyalty arising out of respect, shared philosophy, and ministry companionship with the staff team.
- Confidentiality with Discretion. It is imperative to deal in the strictest of confidence with intimate knowledge regarding people and ministry issues.
- Interpersonal Skills. The ability to communicate with others in a gracious, wholesome and persuasive manner as well as the ability to anticipate and resolve personnel issues and conflicts in a godly manner.
- Motivational Skills. The ability to be a self-starter and to take initiative in developing ministry objectives.
- Leadership Skills. The ability to organize and to lead a sizable volunteer staff, with disciplined personal time management. The ability to recruit, to train, to lead, and to develop a leadership team that can plan and execute disciplemaking
- Commitment to Disciplemaking. A commitment to glorify God by making disciples.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SERVICE
- A college or graduate degree in Christian Education or Ministry and/or demonstrated experience in working with children and parents.
- Strong speaking and writing skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the Ministry Team, the GEFC family, guests and vendors.
- A thorough working knowledge and developmental understanding of children and their families.
The Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries will oversee the discipleship systems from birth through sixth grade. The Director will work closely with the Director of Youth and Young Adults and with the Director of Adult Ministries to ensure that
parents are prepared to lead their children and that young people have spiritual mentors when their parent cannot be the model. The following are listed as examples of primary responsibilities of this Director:
Oversee/Direct Children’s Ministries:
- Coordinate a pathway to discipleship for children utilizing curriculum, events, reading materials, and communication
- Envision, create and implement departmental vision that is integrated with the strategic mission, vision and purpose of the church.
- Recruit, train, and supervise personnel who serve in the Children’s Ministries
- Oversee all the Sunday Ministries for children (birth through grade 6). This includes, but is not limited to, the Nursery, Sunday School (preschool - grade 6), and Children’s Church.
- Oversee the AWANA program for children.
- Oversee the UPWARD Sports ministry.
- Oversee the annual Vacation Bible School for children (or some equivalent such as Neighborhood Backyard Bible Clubs).
- Coordinate with the Kids’ Choir Director regarding the practice for and performance of the Kids’ Choir musicals.
Oversee/Direct Parenting Ministries:
- Develop and implement ways that parents can effectively disciple their children incorporating biblical principles.
- Develop and implement a plan for on-going parent training and encouragement.
- Intentionally connect with parents to foster their own discipling efforts and to coach them on specific issues that they face.
- Recommend pertinent resources to parents/children (e.g., RightNow Media, church library)
- Encourage intergenerational gatherings to help the young and all generations to recognize how God is working in the whole family of God.
- Collaborate with the senior pastor, the staff team and other ministry teams to ensure that there are opportunities for all generations to worship, learn and serve together. In other words, the Director will champion a disciplemaking focus for children and
- The Director of Children’s and Parenting Ministries will be accountable to the Senior Pastor for spiritual, theological, philosophical and relational harmony with the overall mission and purpose of the Church as established by the congregation and Elder
- The Director of Children and Parenting Ministries will be regular in attendance at worship services, weekly staff team meetings, Wednesday Disciplemaking Ministries, and collegial meetings particularly within the North Central District of the Evangelical
Free Church of America.
- The Director of Children and Parenting Ministries will be invited to participate in the worship services in various capacities.
LENGTH OF MINISTRY
- Length of ministry is strongly preferred to be long term, fruitful, and Christ-honoring partnership.
- Resignation will be given confidentially in writing to the Senior Pastor at least sixty-days prior to the date of effectiveness.
- If, however, the Senior Pastor, with the counsel of the Elder’s Executive Team, determines that a change of leadership is needed, a sixty-day notice alerting termination will be given.
- Notice of termination will be given in writing by the Senior Pastor. Together we purpose to conclude any partnership in a gracious and God-honoring way.
Compensation levels and all benefits are set by the Executive Team of the Board of Elders. All compensation is to be held in complete confidence.
Interested Candidates for this position should forward resumes/inquiries to:
GEFC Search Team (Director of Children’s/Parenting Ministries)
755 73rd Ave. NE
Fridley, MN 55432