Assistant Director of Student Ministries
The objective of the position is to help provide leadership in the coordination and implementation of student programming that encourages faith formation and spiritual development in the lives of 5th-12th grade students at Grayson
United Methodist Church. This position is supervised by the Director of Student Ministries.
This position requires a self-motivated individual who has a dynamic personality and is passionate about seeing students grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ. This person must be spiritually strong and eager to grow in spiritual maturity. This individual
is expected to be a model of Christian character and morality and be an exemplary witness in testimony, behavior, and spiritual disciplines. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are essential. This individual must be able to balance
the performance requirements of the position with the interpersonal requirements and the essential administrative duties.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Participation in student events & weekly programming
- Assist in Sunday morning programming for middle & high school (Sunday School). This includes coordinating our Sunday school classes, leading volunteer teachers, preparing curriculum, and encouraging participation in the program.
- Assist in Attitude 423 (student choir) as needed.
- Assist with programming for middle school students and/or high school students in cooperation with the Director of Student Ministry and adult volunteers. Programs include Bible study, discussion groups, worship, service projects, games, and fellowship events.
- Build relationships with students and their families. This requires an ability to cultivate personal and appropriate relationships with youth and adults within the congregation. Willingness to participate in the life of the church outside youth programming
- Assist with and attend all youth trips (including preparation of registration packets, mailings, spreadsheets, deposits, and payments)
- Provide administrative support for the Director of Student Ministry and overall youth ministry.
- Assist in keeping youth facilities and storage areas neat and organized.
- Maintain student section of church website with updated information.
- Maintain information using the Automated Church System (ACS) regarding contact information, statistical information, and distribution lists or other church systems.
- Maintain student ministry social media – Facebook, twitter, etc.
- Assist in management of attendance, contact information, and registrations
- Preparation of materials – including, but not limited to: making copies, processing postage/bulk mail-outs, creating advertising publications, and knowledge of Excel, Word and Photoshop.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Active and growing faith in Jesus Christ
- Ability to articulate clear and consistent theology
- Exhibits an understanding of spiritual formation and discipleship
- Willingness to participate in youth events and retreats
- Pursuit of continued education and personal growth
- Experience in church ministry setting (preferred)
- Experience in planning events and/or organizing retreats a plus
- Heart for youth ministry and the maturity to lead students in spiritual growth
- Must successfully complete a reference check and law enforcement background check.
- Ability to relate to and connect with students ( grades) - Energy, enthusiasm and excitement regarding working with students.
- Organization, time management, attention to detail, self-management
- Ability to effectively communicate goals, event purposes, and details
- Commitment to executing all tasks and assignments at the highest achievable level of excellence
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Interpersonal and relational skills
- Ability to manage and follow-through on tasks/assignments
- Aptitude in technology/social media (Excel, Publisher, Word, Facebook, Twitter, Multimedia, etc.)
- Conduct self in a professional manner, including appropriate dress, timeliness and appropriate communication.
- Exhibits integrity and trustworthiness
The Assistant Director of Student Ministries should focus their time and energy on strengthening the Student Ministry of GUMC through connecting with and discipling students, along with supporting the ministry through administrative tasks.
This is a full time, 40 hours per week position. The work schedule will be coordinated with and approved by the Director of Student Ministry.
Please be prepared to submit: resume, current photo and video of you speaking in front of students.
For further questions please email, no phone calls.