PURPOSE: The Chief Operations Officer will partner with the Sr. Pastors and the Church Council in setting strategic vision for the church and in providing support and accountability to senior staff in implementing the vision. The COO provides
overall management and direction to staff including assigned leaders such as Finance, Communications, Human Resources, Administration, IT, Facilities, and the Cornerstone Café. Serves as a liaison to the Church Council in the areas of financial reporting,
budgeting, organizational design, and Human Resources.
OVERVIEW: Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, located in Naperville, IL is a 4,000+ member Christian church with the primary mission to “Reach and Transform Spiritually distracted people so we all come to love and serve God. Naperville was named
#10 nationally by Money Magazine as a 2016 “Best Place to Live.” It is located 28 miles west of Chicago Illinois and is a vibrant, thriving city home to acclaimed schools, libraries, parks, healthcare options and an exceptionally low crime rate. For more information
about the church, please visit www.goodshepherd-naperville.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities may include but not be limited to:
- Assist in maintaining the highest possible ministry standards and professional ethics in accordance with the goals, mission and purpose statements of Good Shepherd Church.
- Support the leadership of the church, contributing to the spirit of unity among the staff and congregation.
- Assists in the establishment of strategic ministry practices and implementation of organizational policies and procedures to ensure attainment of the church’s vision and core values.
- Directly supervises the Directors of Finance, Communications, Human Resources, Facilities, and Cornerstone Café management.
- Provides organizational leadership and direction to all staff related to professional development, performance management, and goal setting/attainment.
- Directs the preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on broad goals and growth objectives.
- Partners with the Finance Director to ensure appropriate financial practices including monthly financial results and cash flow forecasting.
- Drives the budget process, managing ministry financial spending plans and approving purchases
- Maintains and executes a Communications Plan to ensure ministry success by developing procedures to promote information flow within and outside the organization.
- Partners with Human Resources to ensure adequate staffing, fair compensation and organizational compliance to local and national employment regulations.
- Oversees facilities strategy in coordination with Director of Facilities.
- Oversees Cornerstone Café strategy in coordination with Director of Cornerstone Café.
- Oversees the area of Administration ensuring ministry areas receive support required to carry out various activities.
- Serves as Church Council liaison on matters related to Finance, Human Resources, Communications, and Facilities.
- Oversees vendor contracts and relationships with outside vendors and contractors.
- Builds and maintains leadership development and training opportunities for staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of Christian themes and an understanding and commitment to the mission and core values of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church; knowledge of the current practices in financial reporting, management principles, leadership development, human resources,
facilities management, IT, and/or strategic communications.
Skill in developing teams, applying accounting principles, organizational design, and policy development and application. Strong analytical and reporting skills including database, spreadsheet, financial, accounting, IT, human resource management, and leadership
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships staff and others and convey high quality oral and written communications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Completion of a Bachelor's degree in a business-related field such as Business Administration, Finance, IT, Communications, Organizational Development, and/or Human Resources, and seven to ten years relevant experience
preferably in a church or not for profit setting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A pre-employment background and drug screening check is required
Good Shepherd is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, interested candidates should email resume and cover letter describing your interest to email@example.com as early as possible. Please do not contact employer directly.