Grace Community Church
Church Size: 600-700
Position Overview: Grace Community Church is currently seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of Senior Pastor. The successful candidate will work alongside a dedicated Elder board, a strong professional staff team,
and a veteran Senior Pastor who, after serving the church for more than 35 years, is now nearing retirement and positioning the church for a graceful transition in leadership.
Church Background: Grace Baptist Church was established in Chico, California in 1920 by a small group of Christians who were committed to holding fast to the essentials of orthodox Christian beliefs. In the early years, Sunday services were
held in various homes and rented facilities and leadership was provided by many different pastors, each one faithful in preaching God’s Word and leading the church through its various stages of growth and development. In 1981, Grace hired a young pastor fresh
out of seminary to lead the church. Now, more than 35 years later, he remains the Senior Pastor at Grace. Over the years, he has faithfully preached God’s Word and skillfully led the church through its various stages of growth and development. In 1990, he
led the congregation in a process that resulted in Grace becoming an independent, non-denominational church that was renamed Grace Community Church. Today, the 600-700 regular attenders of Grace Community Church are bound by a simple mission of seeking to
know, show, and share the Gospel in all of life, and helping others do the same for God’s glory and the good of the world. Well resourced, with a large comfortable facility, a unified staff, and positive relationships with many service organizations throughout
the community, Grace is readying itself for a change in Pastoral leadership; its first in more than 35 years. A newly hired Senior Pastor will, for a time, work hand-in-hand with the retiring Senior Pastor to continue the work that was begun at Grace nearly
100 years ago, taking on the solo Senior Pastor role when all indications point to a successful handoff.
Location and Demographics: Grace Community Church is located in Chico, California, a city of 88,000 situated in the northern part of the state. California State University, Chico (also known as Chico State), is located in the heart of
the downtown area lending innovative thinking, cultural diversity, and youthful energy to a city surrounded by agricultural land that is dotted with rice fields and fruit and nut trees. This results in a unique blend of rural charm and college-town vitality
that makes Chico an ideal place to live and work. Chico serves as a commercial hub for the 220,000 people living in Butte County providing Chico residents with many housing options, a strong school system, and a well-regarded medical community. Chico’s warm,
dry climate, and Bidwell Park --one of the largest municipal parks in the nation-- provide residents with opportunities to enjoy a slow pace and a variety of outdoor activities.
Responsibilities: The Senior Pastor holds primary responsibility for casting vision, clarifying mission, developing strategies, and maintaining a culture that fosters Spiritual growth within the Church as measured by the extent to which
its members are confident and convicted children of God, faithful servants of love, and passionate and effective messengers of the Gospel. He leads the teaching team, ensuring that God’s Word is presented accurately, that it is Gospel-centered, and that it
provides relevant and practical application of Biblical principles and behaviors. He develops the leadership capacity of professional staff members and oversees the identification and development of lay leaders. He ensures responsible stewardship of resources,
optimizing the use of personnel, finances, and facilities to support the Grace mission. He provides Spiritual leadership for the congregation, professional staff, and Elders; modeling Biblical values and behaviors that illustrate and promote an unshakable
faith in Jesus Christ, an unwavering hope in the Gospel, and an ever-increasing love for others.
Required Qualifications: The successful applicant will have a breadth of education, experience, and skills that enable fulfillment of the responsibilities of the Senior Pastor as summarized above. Preference will be given to those who demonstrate
a genuine call to ministry, a true servants heart, and application and supporting materials that demonstrate the following:
- Completion of a Baccalaureate level degree (or higher) in a relevant field of study from an accredited university program,
- Completion of a Master’s level degree (or higher) from an accredited seminary,
- A proven track record of significant and increasingly complex ministry leadership, preferably within a large church setting (600+),
- Significant experience as a collaborative leader with a servant’s heart who is adept at leading and encouraging a diverse staff and lay leadership team,
- A clear, engaging, and inspirational communication style,
- Authenticity, humility, and transparency as evidenced in personal life and vocational history,
- The ability to address conflict and initiate needed course corrections directly, fairly, and graciously,
- An understanding and agreement with the doctrinal positions embraced by Grace Community Church,
- A leadership style that is characterized as visionary and entrepreneurial as evidenced by effective strategies utilized in current or previous positions for reaching people across all ages, socio-ethnic groups, and gender,
- Knowledge of and ability to use current technology, including social media, to effectively communicate with members of the congregation as well as the local and global communities.
To Apply: Use the Church Staffing website (www.churchstaffing.com) to submit your application for employment which will include a letter of introduction and resume (PDF format), and a link to a video recording of your teaching. For additional
information about Grace Community Church, please visit our website: www.gracechico.org