The Children’s Ministry Director position exists to develop and administer children’s ministries (birth – 5th grade) centered on Victory’s mission of, “Proclaiming the life changing power of Jesus Christ and developing fully devoted followers of Him.” This
director is called to work collaboratively and creatively to envision, plan, promote, lead, and grow a dynamic, team-based, outreach oriented ministry to children and their parents.
Reports to: Associate Pastor
Direct Reports: Administrative Assistants
Member of: Pastoral Leadership Team
Status: Full-time regular, Exempt
· Provides leadership to and participates in the development of programs, activities, and events for children’s ministries in an atmosphere of fun and fellowship, that is irresistible to children and their parents.
· Establishes goals and objectives for each ministry department, staff member, and volunteer team and works toward reaching those goals.
· Displays a passion for ministry volunteers and regularly encourages, celebrates, and trains them into a Christ centered, vision oriented, child and family focused team.
· Responsible for the leadership and ministry development of the Children’s Ministry team.
· Promotes children’s ministries to the church and community.
· Participates in the financial planning process by developing and managing the ministry budget.
· Develops and maintains inviting and relevant children’s ministry environments for all age groups. Works to ensure the spaces are kept neat and orderly. Cooperates with other ministries when sharing multi-purpose spaces.
· Attends and participates in district, regional, and denominational events as required.
· Provides counseling to children and parents concerning spiritual, behavioral, and developmental needs.
· Is prepared to refer children and their families to professional counselors when such needs dictate.
· Reinforces the role of parents and family in the spiritual development of children.
· Responsible for evaluating and selecting curriculum and other educational tools and establishes a scope and sequence for biblical learning for all ages.
· Establishes and enforces all safety and security procedures for children’s ministry programs and events.
· Develops and maintains all ministry handbooks and policy statements.
· Participates in weekly staff meetings and is prepared to report on ministry activities.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
· Preferred: Three or more years of leadership experience in children and/or family ministries.
· Preferred: Undergraduate degree with emphasis in child development or children’s ministry.
· Preferred: Two years practical experience in larger (200+) children’s ministry.
· A vital personal relationship with Christ and a commitment to continued spiritual growth.
· A clear call to ministry.
· Creative and willing to explore new and innovative ideas.
· Relates well to children – children are drawn to them as a loving, caring, mentor and leader.
· Displays confidence, maturity, and qualified experience in spiritual and family issues as a support to parents.
· Spiritual gifts relevant to the requirements of this ministry.
· A special concern for evangelism and discipleship of children and parents.
· Commitment to remain biblically true yet culturally relevant.
· Avails themselves to conferences, seminars and other types of training in order to stay on top of the latest trends in children and family ministry.
· Commitment to the ideals of teamwork as a member of the church staff.
· Leadership experience in overseeing, mentoring, recruiting and developing a large volunteer network.
· Gifted in casting vision, creative thinking, with attention to detail.
· Believes in and upholds the mission, values, and core beliefs of Victory Highway Wesleyan Church and the Wesleyan denomination.