GSUMC Job Description
Position: The Minister of Music & Music Arts
Status: Full time, Salary Position (approximately 40 hours per week)
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The Minister of Music and Music Arts has the following broad responsibilities:
Selection and direction of worship music for Sunday services and special events; recruitment and development of worship band members; purchase, maintenance and management of audio-visual (AV) equipment.
Promote and manage the Arts Program at GSUMC, including hiring of Arts teachers, recruiting Arts students, and integrating the music portion of the arts program and the worship ministry.
- Any paid musicians
- Arts Teachers such as Music Teachers and Dance Teachers
Designated Backup Staff Member:
To be determined on a case by case basis – see Job Duties section of this job description
Works Closely With:
- Senior Pastor
- Business Administrator
- Office Manager
- Other staff members as needed
- AV volunteers
- Leaders of Arts Programs such as Good Sam Players
- Leaders of special events requiring AV and/or music
- Arts Council
- Schedule weekly meetings with the Pastor to ensure that the selection of music and vision of the worship band remains in coordination with, and supportive of, the mission of Good Samaritan United Methodist Church.
- Plan selections and arrangements of weekly worship music.
- Post and maintain a 4-week forward schedule for service music using on-line Planning Center Software. Update weekly as needed. Include:
- Sheet music of all music selections in keys most appropriate for congregational participation
- Schedule of musicians, vocalists and AV personnel
- Audio files of each music selection in the keys to be played, when available
- Back tracks and click tracks as needed
- Produce an annual music plan for special services and other future events. Maintain plan in Planning Center, including 1a through 1d above. Finalize plan 8 weeks prior to each special service or event.
- Direct rehearsals: coordinate rehearsal times practice; manage personnel; and direct music for both vocal and band rehearsal(s).
- Develop musicians and vocalists, auditioning and integrating new team members to ensure the ongoing quality and consistency of the worship experience.
- Lead worship services which includes singing, playing an appropriate instrument and directing the congregation throughout the service.
- Plan and prepare services and stand-in worship lead staff when absent. May not be absent more than six (4) Sundays per year as part of this full time position.
- Prepare and manage the annual Worship Band and Music budgets.
- Inventory, maintain, purchase and manage equipment relating to the musicians, vocalists, audio-visual (AV), and other Music Ministry needs of the church.
- Recruit and train AV volunteers
- Coordinate use of AV equipment by other ministries within Good Samaritan, as needed.
Participate in training, and professional development, related to the position of Minister of Music and Arts.
- Provide pastoral care to the volunteers within the music program, band and audio visual team.
- Integrate the Good Sam Arts Music Program into the Sunday Music Ministry as appropriate
- Recruit and leads both adult and children choirs as directed by the Pastor
- Create and expand music program to expand the ministry of GSUMC
- Participate in non-music ministries of the church as designated by the Pastor
- Recruit, hire and manage all Arts teachers and any support staff
- Create Class curriculum and select teaching materials and supplies
- Maintain Arts staff schedules
- Purchase materials needed for the Arts
- Develop Arts Outreach program
- Plan and implement special programs
- Coordinate Recitals
- Produce press releases and news reports for Good Sam Arts
- Organize camps for the Arts
- Oversee fundraising for Good Sam Arts
- Build relationships with parents of Arts students
- Create and expand Arts program to expand the ministry of GSUMC
- Create and Manage the Arts budget
- Coordinate use of building space with other groups
- Establish and lead an Arts Council consisting of key members of the congregation and Arts participants to provide input and direction into the Arts program
- Work with the Accounting Clerk to ensure invoices and payments are accurate and timely. Follow up on payments not collected in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with the Church Council & the Arts Council on the development of an Arts Strategic Plan that supports the ministries and mission of the church, and the church’s Strategic Plan
Key Performance Measures:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (Note: If a candidate does not have one or more of these skills they will not be considered as a candidate)
- Ability to read music
- Ability to lead the worship service by playing an appropriate instrument, singing, and guiding the congregation through the service
- Knowledge of AV equipment such as the sound board, system wiring, microphone systems, in-ear devices, and the computer/projector system.
- Ability to use/learn Planning Center and Music Stand software to fulfill this position’s responsibilities
- Ability and desire to recruit, manage and mentor volunteer musicians & Arts assistants
- Ability and desire to recruit, manage and mentor music & other Arts teachers
- Ability to plan and coordinate events such as recitals, camps, fundraisers
- Understand and utilize the Arts to support the Mission and Vision of GSUMC and our Wesleyan Theology
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills from the platform to guide the congregation in an engaging manner through the Sunday Service
- Plays multiple instruments and can mentor volunteers on their growth
- Desire and ability in providing Pastoral services outside the area of music
- Ability to lead practices and rehearsals with direction and uniformity, understanding that the level of performance bar must be constantly increased
- Some formal education in music & other Arts would be desired
- Some formal education in ministry would be desired
- At least 5 years experience in leading praise bands in churches similar in size, or larger, than GSUMC is required, or comparable experience in leading other types of bands or music programs.
- At least 2 years experience in hiring personnel related to the Arts
- Some experience in recruiting and leading volunteers