OVERVIEW FOR THE SENIOR/LEADING PASTOR POSITION FOR GRACE CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP
The Senior Pastor is a crucial role in any church congregation, and the health of a church depends upon the right person filling that position. The Elders, Board of Trustees, and Pastoral Staff of Grace Christian Fellowship have diligently sought the Lord
for wisdom concerning the qualifications, requirements, and responsibilities for our Senior Pastor. In accordance with the mission, vision, values, and policies set forth by our church’s overseers, the Senior Pastor will be responsible for direct leadership
and oversight of the various ministerial needs of Grace Christian Fellowship. Primarily, this role will require energy and focus to lead and shepherd our pastoral staff and congregation, as well as to foster and encourage unity throughout the church as a whole.
We recognize that each person has different gifts that will enable them in or hinder them from performing different tasks that our church needs to function. With that being said, we are looking for a man that is willing to be transparent about areas that he
is more or less capable of, so that our overseeing-team is able to make necessary accommodations to ensure that our church’s needs are met. Grace Christian Fellowship exists to glorify Christ, and we need a Senior Pastor to exist.
A strong candidate for the Senior Pastor with possess these qualities and traits:
- Be a godly man.
- Be a man of integrity.
- Be a team player who has the ability to work with others and accepts new ideas.
- Be a team builder who leads by preparing people to take responsibility.
- Be a servant leader.
- Be an encourager.
- Be family oriented, having a priority for his family relationships and the church families.
- Have theological training (preferred) OR
- Have prior experience as a Pastor (or at least six years in a pastoral role).
- Possess strong preaching/communication skills.
- Be in concurrence with the church’s statement of faith.
- Have a heart for evangelism and missions, both locally and globally.
- Be focused on developing mature believers within the church.
- Have a vision and heart for adult ministries.
- Have a strong personal walk and devotional life with the Lord.
- Be a prayer warrior.
- Be committed to continuous spiritual growth in his own life.
- Be compassionate.
- Model faith and trust in God.
- Demonstrate Christ-like character.
- Be hospitable, friendly and approachable, with a heart for God’s people.
- Be teachable and adaptable.
- Be a good listener.
- Have a shepherd’s heart.
- Be a conscientious and faithful interpreter of the scripture.
Full-time pastoral staff is expected to serve the needs of the ministry without compulsion and with joy. As a guide, 30-40 hours per week should be customary. Under challenging circumstances more time may be needed on occasion. This must be balanced with
appropriate time for family and life stewardship and for engagement with people outside of the family of God. A pattern of a weekly day off for rest and renewal will be worked out with the Elders and Board of Trustees and should be taken. The work schedule
can be flexible, so long as the Eldership and Board of Trustees approve, and that the responsibilities and needs of our church are met.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DESCRIPTION
The Senior Pastor will be expected to shepherd and lead our Congregation, Pastoral Staff, and Congregational Volunteers practically as well as spiritually.
1. Preaching and Teaching. The Senior Pastor will be the primary preacher of the church while also developing a regular team of local and occasional preachers. He must be an effective communicator, not only in conveying biblically accurate
content in a clear way, but also seek to inspire people to utilize what they learn in life-changing and world-impacting ways.
2. Discipleship & Leadership Development. The Senior Pastor will be responsible for the implementation of the discipleship and leadership development of those at Grace Christian Fellowship. This will include some personal involvement in
the discipleship of others as well as ensuring that a sound and comprehensive strategy is in place to appropriately disciple all members and regular attendees (with the help of the leadership of the church) to the best of his ability. The vision of our church
is to continue developing current and potential church leaders for the Glory of God.
3. Pastoral Care. The Senior Pastor will seek to be a regular and compassionate presence in the lives of those at Grace. He will not be expected to address every pastoral care need but ensure that others in the congregation will also be
ready, equipped and consistent in loving people well as various occasions arise.
4. Evangelism/Missions. The Senior Pastor will be expected to cultivate a desire for missions, as well as ensure that our church participates in both going to the mission field, and sending missionaries to the mission field.
5. Event Planning. The Senior Pastor will be expected to help the Pastoral Staff and leadership cultivate plans and events for fellowship. Fellowship is a crucial component for unity within the body of Christ, and our church thoroughly enjoys
any opportunity to spend quality time with one another as a church family.
Within the scope of the responsibilities above, the Senior Pastor will:
- Have complete oversight over all ministries of the church.
- Preach the Word faithfully each week.
- Plan weekly services in coordination with the other staff.
- Coordinate staff plans and activities to ensure harmony and effectiveness throughout the church.
- Assess, evaluate, and work with the staff to develop the organizational structure and plans for all areas of ministry.
- Develop annual ministry goals and the budget for the church in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Work on development of job descriptions for staff, ministry workers and leaders, as needed.
- Hold weekly meetings with staff.
- Oversee and coordinate activities during special church events.
- Encourage and work with the staff to facilitate all church-wide corporate outreach events.
-Salary/Insurance is negotiable.
-Yearly salary paid out weekly.
-Annual Vacation time allowed and welcomed.
-Reasonable budget for personal expenses of ministry including books and curriculum.
-Education and conferences will be funded when possible.
-Salary review (Annual review conducted, appropriate recommendations for salary adjustment).
ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Grace Christian Fellowship is a non/inter-denominational church in Ada, Oklahoma (a college town with a population 17,000-20,000 people). And while individuals associated with us may believe and cherish certain doctrines, we first and foremost believe that
the love of our Lord Jesus Christ is the greatest gift of God the Father and His Holy Spirit, and should be the primary message of Christians, taking precedence over all differences, whether they be theological, denominational, ideological, or physical in
We believe concerning essentials, Unity; in non-essentials, Liberty; in all things, Love. We have contemporary worship, we believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the manifestation of those gifts in an orderly fashion according to scripture. We primarily
preach expository sermons, and secondarily, we preach topical sermons depending upon the needs of the church so that we can emphasize applying doctrine and theology to everyday life. We are discipleship focused with an eternal mindset, and we desire to make
disciples of Christ that will go and make disciples so that we can see our city changed for the glory of God.
Though we are ready to hire someone immediately, we will advertise the position from 2/23/17 - 3/17/17, or until it is filled with the right candidate. For those that are interested in the position, we ask that you send us a cover letter
and your current resume. You will be notified by email when your resume has been received. If selected, you will proceed with the application process which will include questions of your theological views, philosophy of ministry, practical convictions, and
personal life. All candidates will be notified and kept informed of their progress throughout the entire application window.
We sincerely appreciate your time and consideration, and we will pray for all of the candidates throughout this process, whether you are chosen for the position or not. May God bless you!
Interested applicants may also send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (and CC the email to email@example.com) in lieu of applying through churchstaffing.com
JOB WINDOW IS OPEN FROM 2/23/17 - 3/17/17