Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering
over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding
opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For Staff jobs please apply directly at:
The Director of Chapel Programs will strategically lead the Office of Chapel Programs in creating and implementing 7 unique chapel services per week, 220 chapel services per year for 5,000 students. This position reports directly to the Lead Pastor around
mission and vision and to the Executive Pastor around operations and programming. Each chapel will support a consistent rhythm of intentional worship experiences for undergraduate students that encourages the university’s convictions of spiritual formation
by means of a biblical, diverse, relevant, and challenging curriculum utilizing creative arts, gifted speakers and Christian practices.
- Master’s degree, Doctorate (preferred) in Theology, Practical Ministry, Biblical Studies, Organizational Leadership, or other related field of education.
- Eight to ten years of organizational ministry leadership, program oversight, and/or student development within a university, local church or parachurch setting.
- Ordained Minister with denominational support and accountability.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
Strategic Chapel Development and Programming
- Responsible for designing a co-curricular chapel experience which upholds and maintains the chapel program learning outcomes and curriculum in cooperation with the overall vision of the Office of the Campus Pastors, the Dean of Student Life, the Office
of the President and in collaboration with the Executive Chapel Committee.
- Works with the Lead Pastor to implement the overall vision and strategy for chapel.
- Ensure that chapel continues to be an essential component of spiritual formation in the undergraduate student population.
- Oversees and implements the university conviction to reflect diversity of race, culture, gender, and denominational representation within chapel.
- Has an understanding and an appreciation for the Wesleyan Tradition and also knows how to embrace and celebrate a Christ centered Christian community.
- In conjunction with the Lead Pastor and the pastoral team, coordinates all aspects of the chapel calendar including speaker contacts, themes, creative components, marketing, and technical needs in order to fulfill the student learning outcomes of the chapel
- Represents the University in selecting and hosting all speakers and their organizations which support and help fulfill the mission of the University.
- Networks with churches, schools and organizations for shared resources, speakers and creative ideas.
- Supervises the operational details for evening chapels led by other campus pastors including Kaleo, Senior Chapel, International Chapel, Evening Prayers and Liturgical Chapel.
- Collaborates with Administrative and Academic leaders for special chapel services as needed including, Baccalaureate, Academic Chapel and Orientation Kick-Off.
- Has experience and knowledge of diverse worship arts and a theology of worship to creatively and intentionally communicate with a young adult and college age culture.
- Collaborates with Media Services staff to enhance overall effectiveness and quality of media and technology in chapel services.
- Develops relationships with students outside of the Office of Chapel Programs in order to understand student perspective of chapel and APU life.
Chapel Office Staff Development and Operations
- Works with the Executive Pastor on staffing and operations of the Office of Chapel Programs.
- Provides development opportunities for all Chapel Programs staff members including 5 full-time professional staff, 3 seminary interns, and 3 undergraduate interns assigned to Chapel Programs.
- Supervises Associate Director for Chapel Programs and Chapel Accountability Administrator.
- Works with the Associate Director to lead weekly programming meetings and provide operational oversight for all chapel services.
- Works with the Chapel Accountability Administrator to enforce the chapel attendance and accountability process.
- Oversees and administrates the annual chapel budget.
- Oversees the organization of 3 annual (2 Fall and 1 Spring) worship and staff retreats.
- Provides pastoral care to students as needed and assigned by Executive Pastor.
- Provides leadership and speaking at evening chapels as needed and assigned by Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor.
- Participates in weekly pastoral leadership meeting.
- Serves on university committees as needed and assigned by Lead Pastor or Executive Pastor to represent Chapel Programs, Campus Pastors and the Office of Discipleship Ministries.
- Represents the Office of Chapel Programs at the bi-monthly Student Life Directors meeting.
- Other duties as assigned by Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Exchange and Windows 95.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Able to compose letters.
- Able to work with creative and visionary personalities.
- Ability to oversee large productions.
- Able to creatively inspire teams of musicians and artists.
- Able to make high-pressured, executive decisions with a high volume of student accounts.
- Possess the ability to communicate effectively with student concerns, turning their frustration into understanding.
- Manage several projects simultaneously and make sound/complex decisions while keeping information confidential.
- Work well with deadline pressures and distractions.
- Must maintain a high initiative work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Communicate effectively through written and verbal means to students, staff, faculty, parents, and guests in a friendly, patient, and professional manner.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, Peoplesoft, Kronos
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran
in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa, California, United States